Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Shadow Magazines

45 Raven

I am a new owner of a CZ Custom Shop CZ 75 SP-01 Custom Shadow. Intend to use it for IDPA SSP and USPSA Stock divisions, with perhaps an occasional spin in IDPA ESP and USPSA Limited.

There are a few options for magazines for this pistol. What is the consensus for best choice (most reliable) for the described use?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and details are welcome!

Well, i use CZ 18 rounders. Depending on division and Sport i use the CZ-Custom Aluminum base pads with and without Mag well. Also Short Extended Aluminum Pads for Limited and 3Gun. if i shooting production or SSP i use the standard rubber base . But basiclly 18 rd , and bought them 3 pack deals from CZ-USA has them once in a while. 3 for $99

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I am on the right track. Those are the magazines I am using. I have six and five of them work fine, but the sixth one will not feed correctly. Usually feeds one or two from the mag, then begins failing to go into battery and you can run through the entire mag trying to get it to feed subsequent rounds. I have to just dump the mag and load a new one. I disassembled the magazine, checked the follower and spring, compared the follower and spring to those in the other magazines, thoroughly cleaned, and reassembled . . . . . no improvement. Took the magazine by CZ Custom Shop to explore my options, and they made it right. Great people with great customer service. Not sure what the issue might have been with that specific magazine.

I also run the 18 rounders. 3 of which did come in an earlier mentioned 3 pack. However, I've dropped a couple base pads also during moving reloads and spilled my pills all over the ground.

MecGar sounds like an option to try.

I've heard some positive comments about the Mecgars, and I believe they may be less expensive than the CZ magazines (individually priced - not on a per unit basis in the 3-packs of CZ mags). Does anyone know if there is a replacement base pad for the 18 round CZ magazines that might solve the mentioned problems?

Thanks, Snapcap

Unless you are going for max capacity, you just can't beat the MecGar 17 round AFC mags. Get them from Greg Cote for $24.95 each and only $6.95 shipping. They work with no issues. There are lots of threads talking about having to change factory mag springs. I just wished MecGar would start making these in Stainless.

Edited by z40acp

I've heard some positive comments about the Mecgars, and I believe they may be less expensive than the CZ magazines (individually priced - not on a per unit basis in the 3-packs of CZ mags). Does anyone know if there is a replacement base pad for the 18 round CZ magazines that might solve the mentioned problems?

Thanks, Snapcap

The problem is usually solved with +10% springs. Springer Precision sell pads for the 18's.

Here's 2 sets of my MG/SP mags.

4f7786ed1599bae2e24813b0eea24168.jpg

Quack: So if I understand you correctly, you are currently using 17-round MecGar AFC magazines and 18-round plated CZC magazines, both with Springer Precision pads, correct? And are you running +10% springs in any or all of them? And one more question . . . . . who makes the +10% springs and where do you get them?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions!

I looked at the Woolff website to determine costs on +10% springs for the CZ 18-round magazines. This is directly from the website. Pay attention to the part in bold print that says "Please Note"

Based on what it says on the website, here's my question: If you want to purchase the +10% springs for a CZ75 Shadow, do you specify the +5% (because for this model pistol, the +5% springs are really +10% springs), or do you order +10% springs (and receive springs that are really +15%)???

Magazine Springs

FULL SIZE MODELS ONLY

Magazine springs are available in +5% and +10% extra power. Extra power magazine springs help improve feeding with extra power recoil springs and when factory springs have weakened.

For use in:
CZ-75*, AT-84, TZ-75, P-9 - Standard (full size) & Longslides - All Caliber's Except 10mm
Including Full Size Baby Eagle with 4.4" barrel.

* Please Note: For the CZ75 only the +5% spring will be +10%
The +10% spring will be +15%

Magazine Springs (Full Size) - Pak of 1

74261 TZ-75/AT-84/P-9, XP MAG SPRING +5% Pak of 1 - $7.4974271 TZ-75/AT-84/P9, XP MAG SPRING +10% Pak of 1 - $7.49
Add to cart:

Magazine Springs (Full Size) - Pak of 3

74263 TZ-75/AT-84/P-9, XP MAG SPRING +5% Pak of 3 - $17.2974273 TZ-75/AT-84/P9, XP MAG SPRING +10% Pak of 3 - $17.29
Add to cart:

Magazine Springs (Full Size) - Pak of 10

74264 TZ-75/AT-84/P-9, XP MAG SPRING +5% Pak of 10 - $47.9974274 TZ-75/AT-84/P9, XP MAG SPRING +10% Pak of 10 - $47.99
Add to cart:

45 Raven - The mag bodies on the 18 round OEM CZ magazines are actually lighter weight and not as robust as the 16 or 17 round magazines from CZ or MecGar. I did a thread that nobody seemed to care about where I disassembled and weighed the three options trying to get my head around what would be legal for IDPA SSP by the letter of law (note: MG 17's with SP base pads in an SP01 are legal for SSP, 16s + SP Base pads technically are not, obviously 18s with base pads are legal).

Me and a buddy swapped over to CZ at about the same time, I went the 16 rd magazine route, he went the 17 round route. We both like the MG 17s best. You wouldn't technically need the base pads on the 17s (absolutely do on the 16s), but aluminum base pads are nicer.

The only feeding issues I've had have been from 18 rd OEM magazines.

Edited by ArrDave

I had always used the 18rnd factory mags until I got my newest Shadow, then I bought 7 of the Mec Gar 17rnd AFC mags. After about 3 weeks, only 2 of the 7 would fall free reliably and the AFC coating was wearing off on the "shoulders" of the mags. I ended up shipping them all back to Mec Gar and they replaced them with new mags (which I then traded to a buddy). I am sticking with factory 18rnd mags with the +10% springs in them and the CZC IDPA legal and/or 14omm extended basepads.

TennJeep1618: Thanks for your comment. Which poses another question from me. Did you notice my question posted earlier about the +10% springs? The Woolff websites says the following about magazine springs:

"Note: For the CZ75 only the +5% spring will be +10%. The +10% spring will be +15%"

Can you tell me how you ordered your springs? Did you order +5% springs so you would actually receive +10% springs, or did you receive +10% springs and actually receive +15% springs?

Confusing, at least to me!

TennJeep1618: Thanks for your comment. Which poses another question from me. Did you notice my question posted earlier about the +10% springs? The Woolff websites says the following about magazine springs:

"Note: For the CZ75 only the +5% spring will be +10%. The +10% spring will be +15%"

Can you tell me how you ordered your springs? Did you order +5% springs so you would actually receive +10% springs, or did you receive +10% springs and actually receive +15% springs?

These are the ones I'm using, in 18rnd SP01 magazines: http://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazine-parts/magazine-springs/cz-ea9-extra-power-magazine-springs-10-power-spring-3-pak-fits-cz-ea-9-sku969-742-730-71397-37401.aspx

If you order the +5% springs you will get the +10% spring.

If you order the +10% you will get the +15%.

I've used both in the mecgar 17 round mags with no problems, but I think the +5 is the safe bet.