Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel twist rate

limited shtr

The twist rate depends on what velocity you are running. The faster the FPS, the slower the twist rate can be. I have found that a 1 in 10 works well for anything from 700 FPS wadcutter loads to 1400 FPS magnum loads. The standard 1 in 18-3/4 that is on most S&W revos is too slow for light target loads to be accurate out to 50 yards. A 1 in 14 is about as slow as you want for PPC loads, 1 in 12 would be a good all around twist. I have not found any 1 in 12 blanks, so went to 1 in 10 with good success.

I have had excellent success using 115 gr. 9mm with 1-32 twist barrels in the 1911. (10 shot groups under an inch at 50 yds, Ransom rest, velocity just below the sound barrier) I usually go for heavier bullets in the revolver and haven't searched for the slower twist barrels, but Green Mountain has a 1-20.

What barrel twist rate for 115gr lead .358 dia bullet for my smith and Wesson 627. Iam using long colt brass and 4.6-4.8 of wst . Iam using a Douglas barrel now but have no idea what the twist rate is. Any help is appreciated

I'm guessing that the Douglas barrel you have currently has a 1 in 10 twist and is .357 dia. It should work well with the 115 gr bullets but if you can try some of the 125 gr Zero JHPs.