Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Filing Benelli M2 Loading Port by Hand...help

e5young

How are you doing guys. I got my m2 a month or so ago and originally I was going to send it to Taran to have the port opened up, but being on my college student budget, I am going have to hold off on that. My friend suggested I purchase a set of files and DIY and dremel polish to finish. I figured I could do that and save some money. Question now is, who makes some good files for gunsmithing in general. I am not much of a gunsmith but I know quite a few people here know a thing or two about their tools and files. Also any advice would be nice before I start this project.

Thanks !

Would you rather have a case of shotgun ammo or a great loading port? My point is that you buy a Benelli once, why not have a great port-job? You have to live with it the rest of your life or if you don't, I would rather be selling a Taran Tac shotgun than dremel-fool shotgun. You will spend $1000s of dollars in this sport if you stick with it, but only spend once on a great gun smith.

My $.02

If you feel confident in your skills, do it yourself. I take pride in doing things myself and find that I learn a lot more about my guns that way. It's not a hard job. Tape off your edges and use only files. There are several YouTube videos on it. Careful when you get near the follower, that's where you can ruin it. Do a little at a time, you can always go back and take more off later.