Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Team feeding issue

selecw

My 9mm Gold Team does not seem to like HPs.

I am using 124gr Precision Delta and Xtreme, and have the same issue with both: as rounds are stripped from the mag by the slide moving forwards, they angle upwards at about 45%, and jam when the tip hits the roof off the barrel chamber.

I have tried OAL of between 1.10 and 1.12 but this doesn't help. I can't go longer than 1.22 with HPs without experiencing increasingly stiff extraction.

The problem occurs across all my mags, which are all fitted with Hennings extended pads and Grams kits.

I don't seem to have the same problem with RN bullets, but have only tested about 50 so far, using a 1.140 OAL.

Any theories or possible solutions?

Thanks!!

Yes, I tried lengths between 1.110 and 1.120.

I can't go longer than 1.122 with hollow points without extraction getting harder and harder as the rounds contact the rifling

By the time I get to 1.130 the slide won't retract as by that point I'm really jamming the rounds into the rifling.

With RN bullets I can load significantly longer due to the difference in the bullet profile.

I can use the 124s in my production gun, or IDPA, so no real issue there.

I'd be interested if anyone out there has had a similar issue with HPs. Presumably a lot of Gold Team Open shooters have gone down this path already.

I'm not sure reaming the chamber would help, as the bullets are hitting the roof of the chamber. It's not really a chamber length problem.

I was also wondering if it's a magazine follower issue. The Grams followers don't have sides to speak of and so can tilt upwards under spring pressure.

I can use the 124s in my production gun, or IDPA, so no real issue there.

I'd be interested if anyone out there has had a similar issue with HPs. Presumably a lot of Gold Team Open shooters have gone down this path already.

I'm not sure reaming the chamber would help, as the bullets are hitting the roof of the chamber. It's not really a chamber length problem.

I was also wondering if it's a magazine follower issue. The Grams followers don't have sides to speak of and so can tilt upwards under spring pressure.

Your not alone, there are Gold Teams out there that struggle with HP's, and it seems like for no real reason why.

Years ago I had some success with Zero because the nose had a little bit more of a point to it, but it still was not 100% reliable.

As you mentioned the bullets are hitting the top or roof of the chamber.

You can play with the opening of the feed lips on the magazine to try and correct the angle, but you mentioned that all the mags were doing it. This could take some considerable time and patience to fine tune each magazine ( with some occasional trial and error ) to get them all to feed reliably, and you might still get an intermittent feeding issue with the HP's. ( I tried and it was a PITA )

First try the original followers, and see if that adjusts the angle enough and hopefully corrects the problem for you. If it runs your golden. You might give up a round or two but that's better than the alternative.

I do not recommend contouring the top of the chamber to help with feeding. This has been done before, but if it's messed up could lead to more problems for you. Better to play with the rounds and magazines first before touching the barrel.

Some have no problems with HP. I only shoot RN in all my Tanfoglio's.

Best of luck.

I got hold of some 115gr RN Berrys and Xteme...

At 1.165 they seem to feed fine, although I've only tested about 50 so far.

I'm also loading up some 1.175s, as they also pass the chamber and case gage tests.

I guess the gun just doesn't like HPs.

If you ever want to go longer 38 super mags work well. Mine will feed 9mm just fine even some 100 grain loaded to 1.105 oal.

Interesting. My "big stick" is a converted 38 super mag and needs a shim to stop 9mm bullets nose diving. Do you ever experience that?

What OAL can you go up to?