Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springing an AR-15

olp73

After experimenting for a while with different lightened BCGs- and buffers, the time has come to the buffer spring. My experience comes from tuning open pistols. In a pistol there is no doubt that a lighter recoil spring helps a lot when it comes to make it shoot softer. This might seem counterintuitive sins a lighter spring will make the pistol open earlier and speed up the slide movement. I think, and many others do too, that the effect comes from the fact that the pistol will close softer and hence make the dot bounce less.

Last time when I was on the range I thought about how light the recoil feels when the rifle fires the last round in the magazine and locks the bolt back. The question is can I get some of this effect buy using a lighter buffer spring?

What are your experiences?.............and can somebody point me in the right direction? I would be very happy if someone could recommend me a spring or even a spring/buffer weight combination. What are you people using?

Thanks J

Edited by olp73

..........and do you think this comes from a reduced buffer and spring rate, or from the JP captive buffer system itself? Do you know what kind of spring rate and buffer weight you are running? Have you experimented with different setups?