Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic powder dispenser/scale combo

In the market for an electronic power dispensers/scale combo. Looking at the Hornady Lock n Load auto charge, RCBS Chargemaster & the Lyman units. I read several reviews on the Hornady, good & bad. Read several good reviews on the RCBS, & read several ok reviews on the Lyman units. Thinking about taking a chance on the Hornady since it is half the price of the RCBS. Anyone have any reviews of these set ups or any other brands to look at?

Will be used for rifle cartridge reloading only, probably 100ish rounds once or twice a month at the most.

For your needs, the Pact electronic scale and powder dispenser combo would do well. I have one of the original (slower) models, but they are supposed to have speeded things up a bit since then. Mine works for exactly the purpose you mention - 100 rifle rounds once or twice a month, and it would do well for more than that. They are separate units, and the electronic scale works well in standalone mode also.

save yourself a lot of time and frustration by just getting a good electronic scale and a redding 3BR powder measure. I have a a RCBS combo that you are looking at getting and I can drop 50 cases of 6.5x284 faster and more accurate by the time the dispenser can drop one charge, one kernel at a time.

save yourself a lot of time and frustration by just getting a good electronic scale and a redding 3BR powder measure. I have a a RCBS combo that you are looking at getting and I can drop 50 cases of 6.5x284 faster and more accurate by the time the dispenser can drop one charge, one kernel at a time.

For bulk dispensing of a single charge you are absolutely correct. However, when doing ladders and making frequent changes, the electronic measures work very well. I wouldn't say they are indispensable, but they are handy.

I have had both the autocharge and the chargemaster. I sold the chargemaster to a friend. The autocharge is very nearly as good as the chargemaster for much less price. Both are sketchy with some powders and perfect with others. Both are far from perfect, but are handy tools.

I bought the RCBS chargemaster about a month after I started reloading with my first single stage press. My demand got higher than a 1000 rounds a month and was cheaper than buying a progressive press. Now that I own a couple of progressive presses, I hardly ever use the chargemaster, other than working up new loads. I do like it and it saves me a lot of time compared to a power trickler. But for 200 rounds a month, I don't know if I would buy one.