Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38sc loading data with WAC

brytec

Iff you have a LOT of WAC lying around, it might be worth playing with ...

I use WAC in my 9mm Major ...

BUT, one of the few advantages of .38 super (possibly enough advantage

to make it worth the cost of the brass) is that there are BETTER powders

for you to use.

Nothing wrong with it -- I use a LOT of it in 9mm Major,

BUT, if I were going to take the hit of .38 super brass, I'd try my best to

get a better powder.

With a 115 gr bullet, I'd start at 7.5 grains and work up slowly with chrono (wuswc),

and with a 124 gr bullet, I'd start at 7.0 grains and wuswc.

:cheers:

I just checked my notes. I was loading 7.5 grains of WAC. COL was 1.235" and I was using a Precision Delta 124 gr FMJ 38 Super projectile.

High- 1426 fps PF-176.8

Low- 1387 fps PF-171.98

Avg- 1402 fps PF- 173.85

That was the load that I settled on because it seemed to run best in MY gun. Ymmv.

EDIT: And I agree with Hi-Power Jack. I am currently using 3N38 because it is now available. Before that I was using 4756. Supposedly, 4756 isn't made anymore but I keep finding it all over the place so it must be old stock. I liked both of them more than the WAC.

Edited by JMike

I am loading 7.6 gr wac @1.245 with montana gold 124 gr jhp. Load per previous owner, gun is trubor. In chronograph, average of 1440 fps which is a 177 pf. Plenty happy with gun, load and open division.

Wanted to know if anyone tried remanufactured 38sc from freedom munitions like there factory ammo? Do they work with compensator pistol? Reason I ask due to 3gun reasons, no PF required. Thanks appreciate your time and input?

Yesterday I did some chrono'ing of a few different powders with MG 124gr JHPs in 38 super, and one was Win AutoComp.

Here are my results (Schuemann 5.4" barrel with three ports):

124gr MG 124gr JHP @ 1.235" OAL

Win AutoComp @ 7.5gr

Wolff SPPmag primers

1373fps avg/170 pf

Just as an FYI - I also checked CFE Pistol and using the same bullet/OAL/primer with a charge of CFE @ 7.5gr I was getting 169pf. Same point of impact, same feel in .38 super.

I'm running 7.4gr WAC behind a 124gr Berrys HBRN-TP @ 1.260" for 171PF. Very consistent for me, too.

Custom Tanfo (based off of a Limited), 5" barrel with no holes and a 4-port comp.

Was previously running 3N38, but got sick of dealing with availability issues on top of the higher pricing. I can pick up WAC pretty much anywhere, any time, and it's about half the cost (and I also need less).