Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb safety question

galt11

I am curious what is the preferred way of adding a shield to keep your strong hand thumb from dragging along the slide during recoil. While I don't have an issue at present, I would like to be proactive and am thinking of getting either the safeties with the shield on the safety like these. The other option seems to be a plate like SVI uses on some of their guns like this. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks

Adam

Unless you're shooting a 22, I wouldn't worry about your thumb dragging on the slide causing problems. I did a test once with my 9mm 1911, purposely pressing my thumb against the slide to see if it would cause any fte or ftf problems. Even with a light 10lb recoil spring, it took pressing extremely hard against the slide before any problems surfaced. So the normal holding of the gun should have no effect with your thumb against the slide.

I agree with the statement above. .22 is the only gun I have encountered this problem with, you may be able to make a case for an open gun as well. Any other meeting power factor should function the slide with little problem