Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Power Extractor

ryan45kim

ryan,

I have one on my newest Para P16-40 Limited, have shot it maybe 500 times with no problems, But none of my other Para's with the orignal set up ever messed up either....

Just someone trying to re-invent the wheel !!!!

Hop

I've done a test/evaluation/review of the Para LTC which features the Power Extractor. I was impressed with its design. When I first heard of the PXT, I thought, "It's gotta be an Aftec." This wouldn't be the first time a company has licensed another company's design without crediting it. I was wrong. The Power Extractor is a very different design from the Aftec. It's actually two hinged pieces with a spring in-between. The design seems robust in the extreme.

No, the Power Extractor cannot be just dropped into standard 1911s. The extractor channel through the slide for the traditional internal design is narrower at the front than the rear. For the Power Extractor it's the same diameter all the way through. Last I talked to them - a few months ago - Para was in the process of setting up the jigs to offer retrofitting old guns to the Power Extractor as a service.

Thanks for the replies guys, I have a new p-16 limited with the power extractor, (I wanted a back up for the first p-16, if something brakes grab the other gun instead of going to the safe handling area to swap out parts), so far its run fine (maybe 2000 rounds through it) just wondering if anyone was having any problems.

When I first heard of the PXT, I thought, "It's gotta be an Aftec." This wouldn't be the first time a company has licensed another company's design without crediting it. I was wrong. The Power Extractor is a very different design from the Aftec. It's actually two hinged pieces with a spring in-between. The design seems robust in the extreme.

How similar is it to the old Kidd modular extractor? IIRC, that required drilling out the extractor tunnel too.

It's similar in that regard, then. The Kidd Modular Extractor was the design that Rusty came up with before he designed the AFTEC ACE. There were a lot of objections to permanently modifying the slide in that fashion, and there were some design issues with the modular that he wanted to correct, too - thus the AFTEC ACE (which fits in the standard hole). The Modular was basically a hollow tube with an extractor hook on one end. It had a coil spring inside the tube that pressed against the angled back of the hook piece, pushing it towards the center of the slide, thus providing extractor tension.

I haven't seen a Power Extractor, yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering if the para power extractor is caliber specific, (do they make a 9mm, 38super, 40s&w, and 45acp) or are they all the same. I have no idea so I was wondering if any one has looked at them. If anything the spring, plunger, and rear piece should be the same with just a different front claw or whatever they are calling that part.

Ps my power extractor is still running great.