Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie question

Davecoff13

How accurate do you try to get plinking ammo? Shooting a M/P 40, my first reloads getting about 4" groups resting hands on a bag. Totally new learning curve! Using mixed brass, cci sp primers, 4.2 grn titegroup powder, 180 grn frontier plated rnfp bullets, coal of 1.127. Ammo cycles through the gun flawlessly feeds great etc. Should I compare factory ammo to the reloads? I have 165 grn rem ammo. I do not shoot competition so velocity pf not a factor just go to the range with friends and have fun, but want to be able to get hits . I am fairly new to pistols so a lot of it could be me, but I want to not get discouraged do to poor ammo.Thanks for your responses in advance.

4" groups at 25 yards is fine - not bad at all. Especially for a beginner.

4" groups at 10 yards means that you, the gun or your ammo need to

improve.

What targets are you shooting at, and how far away are they?

What size groups do you get offhand? :cheers:

Snuck out of work for an hour this afternoon, shot 4 strings of 10 at a measured 20 yds. 2 strings were with factory rem ammo 165 grn flat nose, the other 2 were with the reloads as described above. Used a homemade rest for the front of the pistol to eliminate as much of me being a factor as possible. The 2 shot with the factory ammo vs 2 reloads were all about the same group sizes of 8" with a few fliers of my doing. Not sure which way to go next, do I try more powder , diff powder I have some accurate num 5, or should I try a different seating depth . Or not worry about it yet and just get out and shoot. I probably have less than 1200 rounds of shots on pistols, so I am not that experienced as of yet.

The factory ammo vs 2 reloads were all the same group sizes of 8"

If your reloads are working fine and grouping as well as factory ammo, I'd leave

the ammo alone and start working on smaller groups - at 20 yards you should

have groups of 4" or less.

Try resting the entire gun and your wrists on something soft and squeezing off

slowly - just try to hit the bullseye with every shot.

You might have a friend try shooting a group for you with both ammos ( is that

a word?). See if (s)he can shoot a 3" group with your gun/ammo.

But, right now, I'd go to work on shooting more accurately. :cheers:

The fundamentals of pistol are stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Then it doesn't matter if you run a $5,000 STI or a $179 HiPoint. Hold your gun like this and start at 3 yards until you can make touching holes, then move out.

image37140.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Shooting from a rest is an acquired skill. I shot no better from a rest than I do offhand. It doesn't make sense but it is true.

One possible explanation is that your eyes are no better from a rest, and I suspect a lot of my inaccuracy is sight related. Otherwise I can't explain why my 1.5"groups at 15 yards turn into 5"groups at 25 yards

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk