Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is The Leupold Mark 4 Cq/t Good In Tactical Divisi

bobbyblaze

Okay, must be out of the loop - BUIS? Maybe it is morning and not awake yet, but, wtf is that?

Matt, Matt, Matt, you are SO untactical. You would never make it in the Trooper class. BUIS stands for back up iron sights.

FYI the best way I have found to test a short range scope is to mount it on a 10-22 and put a hell of a lot of rounds downrange between 5 and 90 yards on paper for the close stuff and MGM minipoppers for the far stuff. Don't burn out your barrel that way and it is cheap great practice!

:-)

Good idea....I really need to get one of the DPMS .22 LR uppers

Okay, must be out of the loop - BUIS? Maybe it is morning and not awake yet, but, wtf is that?

Matt, Matt, Matt, you are SO untactical. You would never make it in the Trooper class. BUIS stands for back up iron sights.

I dunno...my trooper class rifle has a TA31F with an OKO mounted at 11 o'clock on the side of the free float tube, no back up iron sights. :ph34r:

is a secondary optic a BUDS, Back Up Dot Sight? :P

Sinistral, get a 10-22. The practice is all about putting rounds down range. Get the butler creek loader and 25 round hot lips mags. Put the same optic on the gun that you have on your AR. You can then put about 1K rounds down range per hour. Much more efficient practice. If the AR's had a mag loader for the .22 I would suggest it, but, I haven't seen one yet.

Kelly, Trooper class? Not until it pays ALOT. :-)

BUDS, BUIS, what are we ITA? (in the army) I guess I didn't get what a BUIS was because I shoot Open. I do run a secondary sight, but, I don't consider it a back up since I have different sight in points.

Sinistral, get a 10-22. The practice is all about putting rounds down range. Get the butler creek loader and 25 round hot lips mags. Put the same optic on the gun that you have on your AR. You can then put about 1K rounds down range per hour. Much more efficient practice. If the AR's had a mag loader for the .22 I would suggest it, but, I haven't seen one yet.

I was thinking one of the DPMS uppers would be good because I could slap it on one of my CAV-15 lowers and it would replicate the same cheek weld, length of pull and trigger pull, as my rifles do.

DPMS is supposed to have high caps available soon...I'll hold off and see how much they cost versus the high cap 10/22 mags.

For tactical division it (CQT) works great. I love mine. I have and will take it down range in the future (tactical Tommie comment). I had a TA-11 that Trijicon let me use when I was helping them develop reticles. I liked it a lot and used it for one North American 3-gun Championship. It was hard for me to use the Bindon Aiming Concept so I prefer a true 1-power scope. Both are outstanding scopes and can take a lick on the concrete and keep on functioning. I also tried a Microdot for a while and then went to an Eotech after that. I think the CQT is the best of both worlds.

Will

As an alternative to buying a 10-22, you might want to consider the AR-15 Ciener conversion kit. The bolt drops in and there are 30 round mags available currently. Just keep the rails on the bolt oiled and it functions pretty much flawlessly.

Yes, the mags are $50 apiece and are a pain to reload, but the kit allows you to use one of your current AR's. The CZ and DPMS uppers only have 10 round mags available. You get real tired of loading 10 rd mags in a big hurry shooting 22lr.

Bob,

I did get the point of the hold over, but we usually dont shoot our AR's more than 300-350yds, which doesnt really require a hold over.  Anything longer than 350, Im breaking out the bolt gun  :)

Scott, you need to expand your horizons with an AR-15 then. Shooting .223 just starts getting interesting around 300 - 350 yards.

:D

You were hitting the little circle part "relatively easily" at 635 yards??!?!?!?!

Or were you hitting the entire target at 635?

entire target...I think that's the most I can expect with a 1:9 chrome lined barrel, factory XM193 ammo, and shooting in a 15-20 MPH cross wind. The best accuracy I can get with Federal XM193 is 1.5 MOA.

Shooting the center circle at that distance would require a less than 1 MOA gun, and more skill than I have :P