Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Both Eyes Open - Need New Rx Glasses?

SWHlctx

I've started the journey to shooting with both eyes open. Primarily because I'm tired of running around the stage looking like a pirate.

It has been a little over a week and has gone a lot better than I expected and I'm making pretty good progress. However, I have a question regarding shooting glasses I can't find the answer to with the search feature.

My shooting glasses are setup with the right lens for close (sight) and left lens is for distance. If I am able to accomplish my goal of shooting with both eyes open, I'm thinking I will need to get new glasses with the same prescription in both lens. Probably both for close to see the sights.

Has anyone been down this road or can offer an opinion?

The setup you have now is designed for having both eyes open. Your dominant eye is the one that gets the distance. I assume you are left eye dominant. If you set both for distance you'll lose the sights. Both for near and you'll run into something. If you are doing OK with your current glasses, leave them as is.

Well, actually it is the opposite. I am right eye dominate and the right lens is set for close (or sight distance). The left lens (non-dominate) is set for distance.

I was squinting my left eye mostly closed, but open very slightly and focusing on the sight with my right eye. It has worked fairly well, but running around the stage squinting is exhausting and I obviously lose the peripheral vision aspect.

What I'm doing now is not the pure "two eyes open" method, but I'm using the translucent tape method on the left lens. It seems to block out just enough "ghosting" to be clear. What I'm finding is I see the stage, targets and gun much clearer. The only thing I have watch for (no pun intended) is losing focus. When I do lose it, I do a quick blink which seems to bring everything back into line.

I have to say I like shooting this way, but it is also exhausting because I have be aware of what I'm focusing on constantly. I'm sure with enough practice it will become more natural. I read on here somewhere that at one time Brian Enos used the same method for years and was very successful.

Edited by SWHlctx

I'm using the translucent tape method on the left lens. It seems to block out just enough "ghosting" to be clear.

I read on here somewhere that at one time Brian Enos used the same method for years and was very successful.

At least he mentions it in the book.

If it works, good. I have a faint memory that I used to have problems focusing on sights with both eyes open. Somehow, it has become the natural thing. Try it without the tape some time. I believe the eyes and brain are likely to learn it.