Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig Sauer P226 German Frame & US Slide Questions

Orbit

Friends,

I need your expertise to this type of pistol that will be able to make me buy from a friend.

The pistol is a Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm:

1. Black

2. with rail on frame

3. frame was made from west germany

4. the slide was made from Hampshire USA

5. 4 sig magazines

I am okay with the pistol, but I have one big question:

Why the slide and frame fit is loose? You can definitely notice it.

Honestly, my friend didn't even shoot it too much as we are belonging in the same shooting club. He is just using it for bullseye shooting. I made some research and it says something that its normal for some batch but I am a bit skeptical since 10 years ago I had the same pistol but the assy were made all in West Germany and the fit was so tight and reliable.

Is this a good gun for this condition? Is this Safe? He is selling it to me for Can$550.

Please help.

Could be a police trade-in? Honestly, as long as the barrel locks up into the slide properly, then the gun is good-to-go, as the sights are mounted on the slide, not the frame.

You could always contact Sig http://www.sigsauer.com and give them the serial number and ask it it came from the factory in that configuration.

Sigs are duty guns. It is quite common for them to have slide-to-frame play. All of the Sigs I own or have owned have had some measure of play. Even my X5 has some. It's the barrel-to-slide lockup, as davidwiz mentioned, that gives them their accuracy.

Examine the slide rails for wear. That would give you a better idea of how much it's been used. If it's an aluminum frame, it is normal to see some shiny white areas on the rails. One of mine with ~8k rounds has some gold areas as well. What you don't want it dull white, which is indicative of wear through the anodizing.