Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Model 25-3 .45 S&w

Airedale

My favorite local pawn & gun has a 125th Anniversary 25-3 , 6 1/2" RR,WO,that I can buy cheap (~$400).

It is unfired but has,apparently, been handled enough to kill any collector value. The box and lining are functional but appear to have been played with by the kids/dog.

It's chambered for .45 S&W (not long colt).

My question: as it's no longer in collector condition, is there anything wrong with having it cut for moonclips and using it as an IPSC revolver? I assume the cylinder is longer than one made for .45 ACP. I haven't done any measuring yet. Will there be a "bullet jump" accuracy problem?

Thanks,

Dave

Airedale, go ahead and get that 1955 model 25 I sent you the link to and quit playing around. If you add $400 plus the $80 to moonclip it plus shipping, you are practically there anyway. You know you want to do it. If you don't, I will. Don't make me buy that revolver, you were meant to have it. :)

Dave,

When I dare you, you are supposed to buy the gun. That is how it works. If I had to buy all of the guns I dared others to, I would have to buy a lot of guns, just ask Clyde or Vikings501.

"...the kind of guy that gives good kids bad ideas." (from Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

As I recall, the 25-3 guns were made in .45 Colt, but the cylinder was .45 ACP in length. Thus it was possible back when they were production items to have a pair of cylinders fitted, the second one in .45 ACP.

Getting the cylinder in it to work eiht .45 ACP may be more involved than just cutting it for moon clips. If the chambers are .45 Colt length, and cut to the (quite casual back then) .45 Colt diameter, you may be squirting .452" bullets out cylinder throats as large as .457"+ Not good for accuracy.

Thank you all re 45 S&W. I don't think I had heard of it. If the gun is chambered in that cartridge, would it not be a shorter cylinder? The Schofield revolver died because the .45 colt would not fit in its cylinder. I can't imagine why a modern revolver would be chambered for it.

The 25-3 is chambered for .45 Colt.

Smith & Wesson just couldn't abide the thought of carving their (then) number one competitor's name on the side of their special anniversary model!

That's all there is to it.