Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

working 38 super comp up to major with silhouette & MG JHP 115

evilbeef54

Those are some big holes, you're going to have to get used to people being shocked by your charge weight :cheers:

Here's a picture I pulled from Google:

flattened.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if your primers looked somewhere between center and right. I like using SPP because they don't hide the pressure signs and seal the primer pocket better, protecting your beech face from erosion.

Ironically I just started looking for some loading info using silhouette in the super and came across this post.

Here is what I did based on others info and chronoed today

STI Trubor Zero 121 JHP 1.282 OAL Federal mag primers

GR HIGH LOW AVG ES SD PF
8.0 1341 1326 1333 15 7 161
8.3 1368 1329 1350 39 15 163
8.5 1404 1373 1392 31 12 168

I loaded mixed head stamp brass I had fired thru the same gun. I did seem to notice the brass rounds had slightly higher velocities compared to nickel cases. Looking at the brass the brass seems to swell a little more than the nickel possibly sealing the chamber better or releasing the bullet easier. At 8.5 grains I was starting to see some decent flattening of the primers but no wear near anything that would cause me concern.

I am not sure why I loaded these so long. I think I will set them in ~.005 and re try the 8.5 load.

Edited by Chillywig

So I seated the loads in a little deeper. OAL is 1.270 and if anything it slowed them down a bit. 165 PF is the best I saw. I also droped 10 power charges into the scale and am loading 8.44grs. Im gonna bump it up again but will be a while before I can chrono again.