Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal Shotgun back together and ready for 2016 season

Benl

Would you mind saying who did the machining? Looks very clean! Don't see a lot of 3-gun oriented gunsmiths advertising services for the 870.

David Santurri. He is in North Attleboro Massachusetts, and was recommended to me on this forum. He did the work from a picture I provided, that I got off of the internet. I think it turned out perfectly. The cerakote was done by Wicked Weaponry in New Hampshire. Edited by Benl

Do you have a pic of the longest tube and the longest barrel together? What are the measurements?

I just bought a 28" 870 and am trying to decide how long a tube I can fit on it.

I don't have a picture of it installed, but the tube overhangs the barrel by about five inches. That was the original setup, but it really felt front heavy when I swung the gun. I ended up getting a shorter "turkey barrel", and it swings better. You could easily go + 9 and be fine. Edited by Benl

Do you have a pic of the longest tube and the longest barrel together? What are the measurements?

I just bought a 28" 870 and am trying to decide how long a tube I can fit on it.

I don't have a picture of it installed, but the tube overhangs the barrel by about five inches. That was the original setup, but it really felt front heavy when I swung the gun. I ended up getting a shorter "turkey barrel", and it swings better. You could easily go + 9 and be fine.

Thanks. Have you had a chance to try out the loading port cut yet? What do you think of it? Anything you would change?

I did my last one like this: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375162

But I'm very tempted to do my new one like yours.

I don't have a picture of it installed, but the tube overhangs the barrel by about five inches. That was the original setup, but it really felt front heavy when I swung the gun. I ended up getting a shorter "turkey barrel", and it swings better. You could easily go + 9 and be fine.
Thanks. Have you had a chance to try out the loading port cut yet? What do you think of it? Anything you would change?

I did my last one like this: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375162

But I'm very tempted to do my new one like yours.

Only practicing, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. The Supermag gives a little extra room, which is nice, too. If anything, I would have cut a little further into the "bridge", but the 'smith wasn't comfortable cutting into the base of the tube because it's soldered in.

Got it done - thanks for the ideas!

870%20Loading%20Port_zpsb87jgrdo.jpg
Do you know about the action bar modification super-genius StealthyBlagga came up with? If you go fast enough, you'll eventually outrun the 870's stock shell latch geometry and get FTF failures that make you think you are short-stroking it. This mod solves that.
Rem%20870%20Action%20Bar%20Modification%

Specifically what does this interact with?

Not sure exactly what you're asking - but I assume it's about the action bar modification. On the stock version the shell latch releases the next shell in line to feed much earlier in the cycle, and as the shells in the tube stay in place while the shotgun recoils rearward ("shell surge") you can have your next shell not feed if you are cycling the action fast enough. The modification shown activates the shell latch in question much later in the cycle so the shells feed more reliably when cycling fast.

Do you know about the action bar modification super-genius StealthyBlagga came up with? If you go fast enough, you'll eventually outrun the 870's stock shell latch geometry and get FTF failures that make you think you are short-stroking it. This mod solves that.

Hmm, I didn't know it may become an issue. Did you weld material onto the bar?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yes - weld up and machine/file/grind down. If I remember right, StealthyBlagga used a TIG. I just made a second copy and used a wire feed flux core 110V cheap-o welder (all I had). I won't lie - it's a giant pain in the butt to do. But it works.

You might run yours for a bit and see if you have a problem first. If it's feeding well I wouldn't fool with it. If you get a lot of FTFs and are sure you didn't short stroke it, it may be time for the mod.

Yes - weld up and machine/file/grind down. If I remember right, StealthyBlagga used a TIG. I just made a second copy and used a wire feed flux core 110V cheap-o welder (all I had). I won't lie - it's a giant pain in the butt to do. But it works.

You might run yours for a bit and see if you have a problem first. If it's feeding well I wouldn't fool with it. If you get a lot of FTFs and are sure you didn't short stroke it, it may be time for the mod.

I'll run it for a while first, and see how it goes. Thanks for the heads-up.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a very good job on the loading port. Could've at least beveled the edges and taken a little more out of the front by the mag tube. But it seems they went deep enough on the sides, so that's good. Too many guys think taking out chunks will hurt the gun.

That is a sexy color though :goof:

• 2 months later...

Ran into this issue yesterday at a match; going fast and overran the gun. I'll verify it's a problem (make sure it's not me), but once I do, I need to get this done. Do you know of any smiths offering this mod?

Edited by Benl

Ran into this issue yesterday at a match; going fast and overran the gun. I'll verify it's a problem (make sure it's not me), but once I do, I need to get this done. Do you know of any smiths offering this mod?

Nope - I got my first one from StealthyBlagga, and made the second one myself. If you send me your action bars only (I'm no FFL so I can't receive the whole gun) I'll mod it up for you, but I can't match that finish you have. I can do parkerizing or black Gunkote (unless you want to send me some Gunkote of whatever color you want). PM me for details - Edited by Matt in TN

• 4 weeks later...

Benl, I am not answering for Matt in TN, but I use an 870 in 3 gun competitions (and have done so for many years) and I had this exact same problem. A place just did this modification for me (a few weeks ago). I shot my 870 with the modified part in a match this past weekend and it worked perfectly. No malfunctions at all

The place that did the modification is a company in Maryland called Gun Metal Inc. http://www.gunmetalusa.com/

They are a relatively new and small company, and I couldn't find much information on them before I contacted them.

I spoke to the owner a few times about doing this modification. His name is Michael Semenuk. There is also at least one active 3 gun competitor who works there too. I spoke with him too, and they both seem like good guys. I felt odd approaching them with a custom project like this. But they were happy to help and did a great job. The whole process went very smoothly. It could not have gone easier.

I posted a detailed review of this in another thread here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=203384

But i am posting here in case you miss it.

I will also cut and paste my same disclaimer: "I have no business or personal relationship with Gun Metal Inc. (or anyone there). I am just a happy customer. I actually did not know they existed until I contacted them about this project (very recently). I also did not get anything to post any of this information. I paid for this work (and will pay for future work) just like anyone else would."

Let me know if you have any questions. I was extremely happy this worked out so easily. I love this shotgun and fixing this problem saved me from buying a Browning A5!

Joe Mamma

Edited by Joe Mamma