Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Humbly Request A Critique From My Peers...

Matt Cheely

So earlier today I went down and shot my first 3 gun competition. Just a local match at the Livingston Gun Club. It was a great time except for the shotgun stage... <_< I was pleased with my performance with the rifle and handgun, but the shotgun... :blink: Dang! I really need to practice reloading. :ph34r: Could use a semi-auto too...

Anyway, this was my first chance to see myself shoot. My father came with me and took some videos of me during the stages. I have uploaded these for your viewing pleasure.

During the stages, I felt that I went a speed that was in control and would get good hits. I was especially interested in seeing how my draw and reload times compared to practice. (Keep in mind this is only my 3rd IPSC match) After browsing this site for many months and watching some videos that have been posted online, I've gotten my technique a little better. I definetly want to get some books and DVD's to help improve my shooting, but with college and ammo, it's kind of tough. I will pick them up asap though.

All I ask is that you give me a little feedback on what you think I should work on. Reviewing the videos, I feel I can do everything faster. I need a lot more practice and matches under my belt, but what do you think I should work on the most / first??

ETA: I'm shooting production with a glock 34 and bladetech equiptment.

Stage 1

3 poppers and 1 US popper about 20 yards away, then 4 poppers about 12 yards, followed by 6 round plates at 10 yards or so. Took 12.6 seconds.

Stage 2

First 10 targets all within 5 yards. Then when I'm out of view 2 targets at 10 yards, and 3 at 20 yards. Dropped 5 Charlies on 15 targets, 30 rounds.

I look forward to your thoughts. :)

What's w/ the "IPSC Monkey" start position on the first stage?? And creeping towards the holster?? :) RO should've made you assume the correct start position.... :) (I'm assuming it *was* hands relaxed at sides, and not "IPSC Monkey", right??? :) ) Believe it or not, you'll actually be *quicker* if you *were* relaxed at sides - your muscles will respond more quickly from full relaxation. Other than that, I don't see anything glaring there :)

Stage 2 - looks like you could've started further to the right, to put you closer to the next array (or did you have to have your hands on a certain point?). When engaging T6 and T7, it'd have been nice to have been on the move (even if slowly) - you stopped and planted following your reload there.

Anyhow, just my amateur opinion :) :) :)

Ah ha. :o So that's this IPSC monkey thing I've heard about. It's a very relaxed atmosphere so I bet the RO wouldn't even know! ;) I'll make it a point to start from a relaxed position.

Yep, had to have hands on 2 X's on the table. That's why I'm so leaned forward. Already trying to get in position for the 2nd array. :D

The "Are you ready?" command isn't audible on Stage 1, but notice how your hands move up right before he says "Standby"?? You probably didn't even realize you did that while you were shooting :) You were in a minor monkey stance before that, and then went "super monkey" :)

Perhaps the only other thing you could have done in Stage 2 was take a more relaxed stance (ie, closer to the XXs on the table, so you weren't stretched out), and then engaged the first target while backing up towards the next array. You might have made a smoother draw from a more relaxed position - shooting while backing up is like any other shooting on the move, which you seem to know how to do, so.... :)

Hmmm...I thought the start postion was fine.

Looks like you did pretty good on Stage 1 to me. (The video offers a view of the baffled stages that Patrick Sweeney has mentioned a time or two...for those interested.)

Man, you guys must be blind - or not seeing the beginning of Stage 1 :) :) :). At the *very* beginning, just before you hear "Standby" ("Are You Ready" happens before the vid begins, apparently), watch his hands move a good inch or so towards the gun..... ;)

Shooter assumes start position, RO says "Are you ready?", shooter moves hand closer to pistol - this is the definition of creeping.... (note that I *am* inferring the AYR command, since "Standby" is so clear on the audio...)

Either way, he's obviously not "relaxed at sides" at the point that he moves his hands up. And, yes, I don't think some shooters actually *are* relaxed at sides when the say they are. However, since I've been back, it seems like most folks have figured out that its faster to actually *be* relaxed, so....

Edit: - BTW, I *do* agree that hksniperman's execution on the stage looked very nice :)

Thanks for the compliments! :)

I guess it's good that nothing sticks out that I need to work on. Being the first time I've shot steel, I can now see where I was waiting a little too long to see the poppers move from the hit before transitioning to the next target.

I do move my hands into a "start position" after being asked if I'm ready. However it is better than some people I know, (looking at thier gun with hands much closer). I know I can nail the draw without looking and instead concentrate on the target I'm about to shoot.

I suppose it's more dryfire for me. I really can see now that working on my draw is good, but working on the many reloads I have to do in production, and especially the multitude of transitions in the stage would save me more time in the long run.

I thought it was no movement after 'standby', not AYR.

Right. If not, how would the shooter shake their head to say NO ?

US 10.2.6

And, I have no problem starting the shooter with his hands in that position. I would not, however, start a shooter with their grip nearly circling the gun...but not touching. (But, we have a thread around here that has covered this "start postion" drift before, perhaps we need to focus on the topic of the thread.)

Mea culpa - 10.2.6 is clear on this, and I'm mixed up... Penalty or stop shooter only after Standby. However, I still object to that position being considered "relaxed at sides" (and always have :) )... obviously just my opinion.

stage 2 you could have shot the static backing away from it. then after the string that can be seen by the video camera, you could have reloaded to save time.

I think you did a static reload which takes too much time.

lastly you could run faster on the move on close targets.

just my 2 cents

I can definetly see how I could have been backing away from the first target. I had to reload where I did since I'm only getting 10 rounds in the gun. With 15 targets I have to shoot 30 rounds, which means breaking it up into 2 reloads. Reload anyother place than I did means extra reloads.

But I will try to shoot faster and while moving. To tell the truth, I didn't even really think about shooting on the move while practicing the stage. But it sure did happen!

Thanks for the comments :)

One thing that I've been playing with mentally, w/ my imminent return shooting L-10 (so, same capacity restrictions), is how much extra reloads really hurt me, if I do them w/ movement. That is - would it actually hurt to do three reloads on that stage, if I do them in the right places??? Hmmmm....

I suspect - but can't yet prove - that if I execute reasonable reloads, it'd be quicker to do three reloads on the move than 2 reloads with one of them static. It might be a wash, too... I'll let you know when I can try it out :)

I can definetly see that working in certain stages. I never really moved very far during any point of the stage, and don't think it would have helped. If I had been able to shoot faster on the first 5 targets and get the reload done approaching the 6th target that would have been best, but the 2nd reload would still have been static. Adding an extra reload for me will add 1.5 seconds on avg. So I have to get some serious movement in there for it to work. You can see I am still apporaching the 6th target with a step or two while reloading.

I did manage to hit a 1.10 sec draw, 1.17 for the first reload, and 1.27 on the second reload. That's pretty smokin for me.

I will try to keep it all in mind for the match this weekend. I'm going to head to the range today, and I'm going work on movement while shooting, as well as my transitions and reloads.

great work! i did not know you had a 10 round mag. my 17 ipsc legal usually is enough. but i will not hestitate loading 2x as long as its on the moveto another shooting position than a static reload.