Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tolerances for classifier setup?

motosapiens

...within an inch or two...

I would be amazed if USPSA classifier stages or Steel Challenge stages get set up this precisely at the average club. If you have a pretty anal person in charge of setup, you might get it.

At my club, I've observed these kinds of stages set up such that the shooting box is misaligned and far off of square to a target that's supposed to be in the center. Definitely more than an inch or two off, so probably other aspects of the stage dimensions aren't to spec. Others notice it, comment briefly, and just make ready and shoot. I don't think anyone really cares.

You would be incorrect on all counts. Every local I shoot the classifiers are painstakingly laid out EXACTLY as described in the book. In the rare case when one slips through that's not right it gets noticed almost immediately. We average a few every season around here that get tossed.

Maybe in your neck of the woods things are different.

Great. But I'll bet I could find something wrong with your stage setups, too. Sounds like you club does a great job, though.

Please don't judge my club based on my remarks about little misalignments. They are visible to the eye but nothing very awful.

I'd bet that if I measured your club's stage setups with my engineering hat on, I'd find plenty at least a tiny bit out of whack.

So you know there is an issue. You are smart enough to realize that it can be fixed. Yet you do nothing?

For those saying as close as possible with standard measuring equipment you do understand that a regular old tape measure, measures to about .030 (1/32")

What I use as a rule of thumb is does whatever inaccuracy affect the actual shooting challenge?

Targets not properly overlayed with no shoots and or hardcover would be a big problem as it directly affects scoring on the target.

A target that is only 4'-10" at the shoulder because the rock that is our bay floor has shifted and let the target sticks sink, I don't see as a problem.

Targets that are supposed to be 2' off the centerline that somehow end up 26" probably not a problem either, unless it causes a issue with other targets in the stage. With most of the target stands I have seen there could be that much movement during the day just from squads tapping and resting the targets all day

I look at setting up classifiers like framing. You shoot for 100% but will accept 95%. The longer and more varied the distances, the more distortion you will have. Everything lays out perfect on a computer drawing, always a discrepancy when it hits the ground. 24" between centers and a target leans an inch in the breeze. No big deal. We pull centerline and set pins to drop left and right offsets. Are they perfect? No. Are they as close as should be expected? Yes. We aren't building a piano. Some variation should be expected. Very close should be the goal.