Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm So Happy

Zerwas

FWIW, I had 3 Dillon SDB's (32, 40, 45) and I needed to make room on my bench to work......So I was in a bit of a pickle as to what machine to get (Dillon 550 or 650). I really like the Dillon line of reloaders. I had to ask around to see what the local dealers/shooters preferred. Most said the 650 (which didn't surprize me much). The 650 while it was almost fully automatic, and I'm sure it is fast, seemed to be somewhat complicated. I was afraid it would take me hours to correct any malfunction the machine would have. I was also looking at the price of that 650. I'm sure you folks that have the 650 love your machines, and I'm not bashing the 650, it's just that I am SO happy I decided to get the 550.

I can reload many a cartridges in an hour and the little machine malfunctions that do occur are easily taken care of.

For anyone looking to pick up a reloader, I highly recommend the 550. It is a very simple and user friendly machine.

I also highly recommend the strong mount and the extra trays...bullet and empty case tray.

TRP, I'm with you I love my 550 and I can do 500 .45's an hour when I don't have the TV going. I picked up a XXXL Acro bin at the hardware store so I only have to dump finished cases when I more bullets into the bullet tray.

It's easy to swap over to 9MM or .223 or the occasional .44 Mag or .357 without a lot of work. I only have 2 powder measures so 1 stays with the .45 while the other gets swapped around.

1 550, dies for .45,.40 and .38 super comp. It's very easy to change caliblers with the quick change option and tool stand. I can change from .45 (large pistol) to .38 (small pistol) in uner 10 minutes. That also gives me a chance to do a quick cleaning and oiling of the machine. I love it. Coming from a Lee 1000. What a joke of a machine.

I hear ya. I spent over a year agonizing over 650 vs 550 as an adjunct to the SDB.

I finally decided to go 550 mostly because of cost but the overall complexity of a 650 was a factor as well.

The SDB is still my .40 press and probably will remain so. The 550 is now set up for .223. Going to add .45, .44, .357 to it here very soon. I have a .45 conversion for my SDB and I suspect that will be landing in the classifieds once I have my 550 set up for it.

I will probably replace the SDB with a 650 here in a couple years and just leave it set up for .40.

But that kind of depends on what happens with the case feeder and other fun stuff they are working on for the 550....

IMHO, you made a smart choice. I've owned the 550B and the 650. I sold the 550 when I bought the 650, thinking I wouldn't need it anymore. It was a mistake that I still regret.

The 650 is faster _when_ everything works right. For example, when you don't have a .40 mixed in with 9mm brass or have .380 trying to get through. Or, when the primer system ticks along -- sometimes it doesn't which is the weakest part of the 650. Fixing malfunctions on the 550 is quick and takes only minutes. It usually takes a lot longer to fix problems in the 650. In my experience the net time -- after repairs, adjustments, etc. -- it takes to load on the 550B is about the same (or shorter) than the 650.

I have both. The 650 is set up for 45ACP. I use the 550 for loading smaller amounts of several different calibers. The conversion kit price alone of the 550 is one reason. Also when switching from large primers to small primers it's easier to change the primer bar on the 550 than the plate on the 650.

newguy,

That is what I was thinking as well, and that is the main reason for me going to the 550. :D

Kimel,

Wow, you agonized over that decision a whole year? I give you credit. I was thinking about it for a month or so and it was too much for me. I just thought the 550 press would be plenty fast enough for me as I don't reload for commercial purposes. I actually like working on the reloads, so time isn't too much of a factor for me (if it is for reloading and not for correcting a mafunction with the machine).

I guess I posted this message so anyone out there considering a reloader might consider this 550.

Good luck to all.

I went through the conversion awhile back, Dillon got a good chunk of money off of me and Brian Enos helped the deal as well. (the price increase sprung me into action but I have been thinking about it for a long time) The 650 doesn't take much to clear when a malfunction occurs but it is more difficult to setup when compared to a 550. Being that the 650 is my first progressive press I have no problems using it after going through just about all the archives concerning it off of this forum. If I knew the 550 handled the .338 Lapua I would be raving about it instead but Dillon has enough time for a conversion kit later on down the road.

My current annoyance with the thing is that the shell that comes out of the feed tube has a habit of not going through the station 1 locator, instead the shell is pushed a long top of it. Other than that, 400 rounds can be a 40 minute job. I have a few caliber conversions and those do get pricey but caliber conversions for the 1050 are even more! I like the Dillon as much as my Co-Ax, the difference is that the Dillon is a bullet assembling monster! (The Hornady L-N-L progressive also seemed like an equal candidate, but Dillon it was.)