Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics - Splits faster or slower?

tarosean

Split times will be dependent on distance, at closer ranges there will be little or no difference between iron sights and a dot. At further distances accuracy should be better than with iron sights. If the same person shot stages with Production and a Carry Optics gun the advantage would go to the CO gun but it would all depend on the stage design and target distances.

It would be possible to design stages that would give a huge advantage to a red dot or conversely design stages that would negate the benefits completely,

From my testing and match reviews:

My draw on a close hoser target is slower

Draws on longer/tougher targets are slower

Transitions are faster on tougher/longer shots

Traditions on hoser targets are about the same

Accuracy/points are much higher, for me not even close.

My stage times are down, but that is due to a lot of work on footwork and stage planning, and those have nothing to do with the dot.

A dot is not a magic thing that increases your hit factors. Initially I was much slower, it took a lot of practice.

Sounds like you need more dry fire with it. No reason why anything with a dot should be slower than without a dot.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

Sounds like you need more dry fire with it. No reason why anything with a dot should be slower than without a dot.

Agreed, but recovering from a torn tendon caused by dry fire limits what I can do. Working on it tho.

Coming from Open division, the biggest problem I have had to overcome is the muzzle flip, I'm still working on the correct amount of arm extension and grip that will help me to correct that. Picking up the dot is not an issue for me, especially on the draw, it only took about an hour of dry fire to get that dialed in.

Torn tendon from dry fire? Sheesh, I don't know how you managed that. Hope recovery goes well.

Thanks, that was a year ago, had a PRP proceedure (blood spinning) done in June. No longer have any pain, but I do have soreness. Unfortunately I have to limit draw practice which is of course finding the dot. My practice now is more geared towards match performance, i.e. entries, exits, transitions type stuff that does not put too much strain on my extensor tendon in my right forearm

Torn tendon from dry fire? Sheesh, I don't know how you managed that.

probably not doing enough crossfit to prepare him for the rigors of dryfire. :devil:

Shouldn't you be busy with your shakeweight or bowflex? I've dealt with enough trolls irrationally hating on crossfit to last 2 lifetimes. Not at all interested in doing it again, not even a tiny little bit.

Torn tendon from dry fire? Sheesh, I don't know how you managed that. Hope recovery goes well.

Thanks, that was a year ago, had a PRP proceedure (blood spinning) done in June. No longer have any pain, but I do have soreness. Unfortunately I have to limit draw practice which is of course finding the dot. My practice now is more geared towards match performance, i.e. entries, exits, transitions type stuff that does not put too much strain on my extensor tendon in my right forearm

That's good. What are you doing to rehab it?

Torn tendon from dry fire? Sheesh, I don't know how you managed that.

probably not doing enough crossfit to prepare him for the rigors of dryfire. :devil:

Shouldn't you be busy with your shakeweight or bowflex? I've dealt with enough trolls irrationally hating on crossfit to last 2 lifetimes. Not at all interested in doing it again, not even a tiny little bit.

That's good. What are you doing to rehab it?

At this point, it is only extended arm range of motion stretching.

for me I'm slower on close in stuff and more accurate on longer tighter shots. part of that is patience or lack there of on my part with the dot there is no information when the dot is out of the window so I end up waiting till its back to start pressing the trigger ( shoot a GLOCK) with Iron sights I can track the front sight up and down and start the trigger press earlier so the shot breaks as the front sight gets back to the center of the target. I am running a RMR and at 5 yd the lens is less than the height of the A zone I think sight with a larger lens I would pick up quite a bit of speed (I know with my C-More on my open gun I can find the dot significantly faster.

that all said I'm sure with additional practice it will get better.