Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140gr 40 Caliber Recipe for Open

tanfoglio1911

I use 8.5 grains of Autocomp under a Rainier 140 gr. plated bullet. 1 inch at 25 yards accuracy and this load works great in my Witness Gold Team. Very quick dot recovery. It's a little loud but we are talking open here.

Edited by Big Nick

I use 8.5 grains of Autocomp under a Rainier 140 gr. plated bullet. 1 inch at 25 yards accuracy and this load works great in my Witness Gold Team. Very quick dot recovery. It's a little loud but we are talking open here.

Thank you Big Nick. I am recently using a 165gr BBI and also used 155gr of Bayou but thinking of trying to see how these light bullets will affect the recoil.

I tried the 155 bb in Gold team, but for me, I had better accuracy, better control, and faster recovery with the 140 Rainiers. You have to grip the gun firmly but I can just about shoot steel plates as fast with this load as with my .22. Ruger.

Did you mean a 135 gr Rainier?

I tried developing loads for 40 Major Open using the Rainier 135gr copper clad bullet. With Autocomp, you can get the gun to shoot dead flat, but it is hard on the hand and incredibly loud. I have much better results using the Rainier 155gr TC or the 165 HP and N340 powder. The 165 at 170PF is not dead flat. The muzzle does rise, but the dot never leaves the glass. It is soft shooting and not ear splitting. Same with the 155. Just a touch less muzzle rise and a touch harder shooting.

I tried developing loads for 40 Major Open using the Rainier 135gr copper clad bullet. With Autocomp, you can get the gun to shoot dead flat, but it is hard on the hand and incredibly loud. I have much better results using the Rainier 155gr TC or the 165 HP and N340 powder. The 165 at 170PF is not dead flat. The muzzle does rise, but the dot never leaves the glass. It is soft shooting and not ear splitting. Same with the 155. Just a touch less muzzle rise and a touch harder shooting.

Thanks zzt...

That is what I noticed too on the 155 and 165gr, that the muzzle does rise but the dot still remains in the window which is not bad for me. I am trying to see if I can find a good data or a good spot for the 140gr where it will work for me and to my pistol.

tanfo, whether you like the 135gr bullets or not will depend on your comp and powder choice. You need a lot of powder to drive the 135gr bullets to Major. I'm using a 3-port Tanfo comp with the first port enlarged. Autocomp makes too much gas. The gun is dead flat, but so much gas goes out the front it is recoils back hard. I'm guessing that if you had a longer, more efficient comp, the barrel would actually dip when fired, not rise. I'm going to try it again with some faster powders such as Solo 1000 thru HS-6. I'm also have two bleeder holes cut into the side of the third port to bleed off more gas.

However, I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay with the 155gr because it was more accurate and a lot less violent. I'm loading to 1.126" so I have to be really careful with the pressures. You will be loading long, so you have a lot more leeway.

tanfo, whether you like the 135gr bullets or not will depend on your comp and powder choice. You need a lot of powder to drive the 135gr bullets to Major. I'm using a 3-port Tanfo comp with the first port enlarged. Autocomp makes too much gas. The gun is dead flat, but so much gas goes out the front it is recoils back hard. I'm guessing that if you had a longer, more efficient comp, the barrel would actually dip when fired, not rise. I'm going to try it again with some faster powders such as Solo 1000 thru HS-6. I'm also have two bleeder holes cut into the side of the third port to bleed off more gas.

However, I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay with the 155gr because it was more accurate and a lot less violent. I'm loading to 1.126" so I have to be really careful with the pressures. You will be loading long, so you have a lot more leeway.

Thanks for the heads up zzt. Yes I got enough space for the powder and I hope that the bleeders can help me to handle that unexpected muzzle movement whether it will go up or down lol.

Edited by tanfoglio1911