Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working With Your Range Staff

BDH

Despite my better judgement, I am going to make this post (and probably deal with it later)

While I am certainly NOT the most experienced RO around, I do have several National's and Area's under my belt. Running lots of shooter's you get to see all kinds of things. Sometimes the shooter's are out of line, and yes, sometimes the range staff is out of line.

Here are a few of either my pet peeves, or comments I have heard from other match staff......

1) arguing for an A hit on a shot that 'touches the perf' between the A/C zone, and then on the next target (when there is a shot that is on a no-shoot)..... arguing that the shot must 'cut the perf' to score the penalty..... sorry, it doesn't work both ways!

2) standing in the back of a stage as a member of the next squad, and bragging (and laughing) about how "you just talked the RO's on Stage XX out of 'your AD' by explaining that you were 'engaging  targets' ..... just remember that the RO/CRO on the stage, MAY have on electronic muffs as well

3) Asking for an overlay on an 'Alpha/Mike' call, when 'YOU' KNOW you had a miss on the target..... remember, that the CRO on the stage MAY know that as well, and all it does is slow things down....

4) Jumping in front of the on-deck shooter. The worst thing I've seen recently was in Bend where I had someone without a gun, and from the next days squad on the stage interfering with the on-deck shooter!! Sorry, but if you do not want to hear how loud I can yell 'CLEAR THE RANGE'.... do NOT do that!

5) Asking me if 'I know Michael Voight' and thinking that you will get treated differently!

6) Insisting on an overlay on something that is a half inch off the line.

7) Trashing a stage, and then trying to 'intentionally' trying to back into the RO to try for a reshoot (fortunately, this is rare, so don't get any ideas )

Those are just a few of the things that get me fired up. Remember, the job of the range staff is to 'safely assist the shooter through the course of fire'. None of 'US' are out to mess with any of 'YOU' as we are really one in the same!!

My advice..... try to follow the lead of the range staff on the stage, and work with them. If you think the shooter's see long days/crappy weather, etc., at a Nationals, try working the match!! If the range staff is out of line, have a discussion with the CRO on the stage, or the RM.

I want every one of you to 'safely' shoot a good match, to the best (or above) your abilities. I do NOT want to DQ anyone as that means you broke a major safety rule, and someone could have been hurt. I love to see smiling shooters come into my stage, and leave the stage still smiling (and I do all this for my $11/day stipend at the big matches)!!

Well, those are my 2 cents worth...... let the bloodbath begin.....

Without knowing what prompted you to write the post in the first place, all I can say is, if you have that many issues; back away from it for a while and stop being an RO for a while and regain some perspective.  You can get too close to it, and it does stop being fun.

Tightloop,

Hey, like I said...... I was making that post 'against my better judgement'.......

Just to be clear, I absolutely love working the big matches, as I believe most of the National's staff does. It's a tough, but rewarding job. I try to be courteous, and fair to every shooter, and I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

The motivation behind the post was simply that there was a discussion going on regarding match etiquette, and I thought that maybe some of the staff perspective would help point out some of the little things that grind on the range staff over long days at big matches. However, since it always seems to be a point of contention, maybe I shouldn't have commented.

Sorry, if I offended you or bothered anyone else!

'Speedy Seevers'

At our per diem, I just need to work a really BIG match in order to cover my airfare $$$'s to get to someplace like Bend. Let's see, about 72 days would cover it, so that would be about 432 stages.

What cha think? Sign you up??