Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Height of 9mm spacers in STI magazines

cecil

I added +1 base plates to all my 9mm mags... the plastic spacers are shorter.. I bought some 170 spacers and they are still shorter than the mag with the +1 base plates installed... how far from the top of the "V" in the mag should the spacers extend ... I want to silicon the spacers so they won't move.. but be correctly installed..

tia

I glued in my hardy's because I don't like the rattle. They work either way though. Mine are right up to the top of the mag cut out. This puts them just above the bottom of the mag. Too low and the base pad won't go on I guess.

Thanks Sarge!! Picking up my silicone for my final steps in preparation before plunging into Open!!

Thanks again!!

Just like any other adhesive it works best if you dull up one side of the spacer and the back wall of the mag. Make sure you polish the other side of the spacer too before installing

Usually hoppes or other bore cleaner or paint thinner will dissolve it. Just put some on a toothbrush and slop it in there and let it lay.

Occasionally one will come loose mid season. I figure it's just from oil cleaner etc. might have even been a trace on the mag before gluing.

They also make a silicone caulk solvent but anything laying around in the garage already seems to work.

Since we're talking about installing spacers make sure no matter what glue you use you really have to make sure the spacer is mashed against the mag. I made a wooden jig shaped like a mag that I clamp down on the spacer using vise grips. Just use cardboard or something to protect the mag back from the vise grips. Getting them tight as possible just lets you run long oal with no interference