Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iron City Rifle Works BCG's

wgj3

I wasn't sure what to make of these BCG's, but I got to spend a few minutes with 2 of their shooters at my match yesterday, and I left impressed.

Jason had an example in each of the various finishes and a used Ti BCG. It was very cool to compare the finishes side-by-side and work up to the slickest/hardest. I have a couple hard-chrome BCG's from Young's and a Black QPQ JP and a Rhino LW.

My Rhino has the least slick finish of all, but it seems to clean up just fine with a little solvent and a rub.

The Young's ULW's seem to be next, but they clean up pretty well with just a little solvent and rag.

The JP is what I used to think was really slick. It cleans up great and requires very little work.

Now, the new news.

One of the guys had been shooting the "Copperhead" BCG. He handed it to me right out of his rifle at the end of the match. I immediately noticed that it felt slick. Then I noticed a little carbon inside the tail near the head of the firing pin. I reached in with my finger and wiped it right off. I was immediately impressed.

Then, the other shooter handed me his with the Black DLC coating. I first noticed how light it was; it was the Ti version. Then, I did the same thing and wiped the carbon right off the inside of the carrier.

The Ti group showed ZERO wear through the finish. I was more impressed because I thought that Ti BCG's were "required" to wear prematurely.

Then they showed me a NiB coated BCG and a TiN coated version. You could run a fingernail down the side and feel the difference in the finishes. The NiB was the least slick, but pretty close to my JP. Then the TiN was next and noticeably slicker. Then the "copperhead" finish, and finally the Polished Black DLC was absolutely slicker than snot. As I understand it, a large part of the difference originates with Iron City's pre-coating polish work.

Color me impressed.

Edited by wgj3

• 1 month later...

The EVO is NiB coated which is extremely light in the friction category, the Copperhead and C4V are much harder on the Vickers scale. I have them all and have shot them all, a lot. I can tell a difference in the EVO and the Black Diamond (when cleaning). The DLC and the PVD coatings are more expensive to produce which accounts for the cost difference, and the hardness of the coatings does add value. I have over 8,000 rounds on a Copperhead and there is absolutely no sign of wear. I have been running a Black Diamond for the past 3 months and it is simply amazing. Is it worth the price difference? That's really for you to decide. I can tell you that any of them will give you years of trouble free operation and the ease of cleaning will bring a smile to your face! One of the biggest benefits to what the folks at Iron City are doing is coating the cam pin, which I believe aids in the trouble free operation of the BCG's. If you are looking to order or have any questions, shoot me a note. I can save you 10% as well on all products at IronCity

The EVO is NiB coated which is extremely light in the friction category, the Copperhead and C4V are much harder on the Vickers scale. I have them all and have shot them all, a lot. I can tell a difference in the EVO and the Black Diamond (when cleaning). The DLC and the PVD coatings are more expensive to produce which accounts for the cost difference, and the hardness of the coatings does add value. I have over 8,000 rounds on a Copperhead and there is absolutely no sign of wear. I have been running a Black Diamond for the past 3 months and it is simply amazing. Is it worth the price difference? That's really for you to decide. I can tell you that any of them will give you years of trouble free operation and the ease of cleaning will bring a smile to your face! One of the biggest benefits to what the folks at Iron City are doing is coating the cam pin, which I believe aids in the trouble free operation of the BCG's. If you are looking to order or have any questions, shoot me a note. I can save you 10% as well on all products at IronCity

Thank you Mike!

I have been running their TiN carrier in my practice rifle for a while, and all I can say is these carriers are great, plenty light, very easy to clean, and really well plated. I think they have hit a home run with these. I just cleaned mine after 1000 rounds and I spent WAY less time on it than ever before with any carrier. From dirty to completely clean in about 10 minutes for both the bolt and the carrier......DAMN GOOD STUFF!!!!!

Edited by kurtm