Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Measuring Hammer Impact Force

jsg

I see numerous posts saying you need 40ish ounces for Federal and 48ish ounces for Winchester primers. People seem to be using trigger pull scales to measure this. How are they using the scale to measure it? I have tried using my Wheeler to determine this but am apparently too dense to figure out how to use the scale to measure it. The leg of the scale slips off the hammer well before it gets close to the apex of its movement.

No hole in my 625PC or 627PC hammers...

The face of the hammers have a ledge ... Take a paper clip and bend it to fit under the ledge. I always take a pencil and mark the release point of the hammer ... then just operate the hammer enough to slide the paper clip in place ... then get a hold of the paper clip with your measurement tool and pull the trigger ... (hold the trigger operated) ... pull back on the clip with your measurement tool till the pencil mark (hammer release) point appears .. take the reading.

Give me a min ... I will upload a picture.

edit: This is the best I can do with one hand ... (scale and tablet are both in the right hand ... sigh) ... but you get the idea.

post-61067-0-60897700-1452898831_thumb.j post-61067-0-88552400-1452899601_thumb.j

Waxed string ... (like you use to sew leather) will work too ... Just make a loop and slide it over the face of the hammer.

OK ... second photo is better ... just tied the trigger operated with a shoestring ... you can see this 627 is reading 36oz ...

Edited by pete627

I'd think that - and what I mentioned - would tell the amount of spring pressure at that point. To determine the striking force would require the actual weight of the hammer and the velocity. Hammer weight would be some percentage of the actual weight as it is anchored on one end and the other end is moving. That is slightly beyond my skill level to determine :roflol: .

It is pretty arbitrary but gives you a point of reference ... (and something to log for reference).

Now ... if someone would make a bluetooth bullet that would simply transmit "how hard it was hit" to an android/ios app ... we would be in heaven ... :rolleyes: