Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Pistol Caliber Carbine Load?

Matt Cheely

I've picked up a Rock River Arms 9mm carbine to use for Pistol Caliber Carbine matches. What kind of loads are you guys using??

I'd prefer to stick with a 147gr. lead bullet as this is what I shoot out of my handgun and is cheap. Have been loading Silouette at 4.6grs and getting 165 PF. But it seems to me like that powder is really dirty! Just picked up some WSF to try out and will see how it goes. Was hoping to get some imput from people that shoot this class.

Also do you know of any comp's that will work on a 9mm AR?? Thanks in advance. :)

EDIT: 9mm AR's are blowback.

I shoot a Colt 9mm upper. I prefer 147grn handloads - with the fastest listed powder in a published manual (Titegroup is a decent choice). My Colt will not function with Blazer aluminum unfortunately.

No port. No need for one. I load whatever I use in 9mm, usually something with a fast powder or one of the mediums. Titegroup shows promise, and some guns do not like fast powders and lead bullets so I have a bin of stuff loaded with WW-231 for them.

At the negligible gas pressure at the muzzle of a 9mm in a 16" barrel, no comp is going to make any difference. If you think it helps, then it does. But don't make yourself crazy trying to find the "best."

• 1 month later...

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but I have used N330 with a plated 147 in a subgun (6" barrel). I'm probably going to try 231 or a similar fast powder next.

FWIW, I've used a heavy load of Blue Dot in a Marlin Camp 9 before. I managed to get a 189 PF from the 16" barrel.

I've been using some 147's over 4.6 of silouette and it makes PF fine.

Now I'm just trying to figure out if the PCC match I'm shooting in a few weeks uses the Pistol or rifle PF for minor.... Supposedly everyone's going to be scored minor, which leads me to believe rifle minor scoring.

rainier plated 115s over i think 9 grains of accurate number seven, loaded at 1.150 with winchester small pistol primers.

i want to think it chronos at better than 1500fps from my carbine..1335 in my glock 34.

might could try less of a slower burning powder...but this works and man is that load accurate and chronos consistent.

Normally I find Powerpistol rank in Pistols with it's flash and blast but always liked the ballistics........I think it is choice in 16 inch carbines with none of the effects as shot in pistols.

TR