Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ESP frame "trimming"?

BillR1

The IDPA rulebook lists a variety of different modifications that are allowed on the frame of a gun used in ESP. Robar grip reductions, stippling/texturing anywhere, trigger undercutting, magwell additions and/or internal smoothing, etc

Since these mods are allowed, are others allowed? For instance, if I wanted to modify the length of a frame's dust cover or light rail by shortening it, that sure seems to (IMO) follow at least the "spirit of the rule" if not the "letter".

Thoughts?

This has come up a couple of times. I even submitted for a clarification but didn't get a response. I agree that the intent is good but I think it's still illegal.

If you cut it back and refinish would anyone know? I doubt it, but we're on the honor system.

This has come up a couple of times. I even submitted for a clarification but didn't get a response. I agree that the intent is good but I think it's still illegal.

If you cut it back and refinish would anyone know? I doubt it, but we're on the honor system.

Understood...I have no desire to skirt any rules. I also submitted a question on it this morning.

My question is about the Sig P320. The replaceable frame for the full-size and the carry model is identical except for the length of the dust cover. It sounds like I would need to buy a Carry frame instead of cutting a FS frame, even though the end result would be the same.

• 5 weeks later...

Trying the game the CCP division? I know of others doing with with a CZ75 compact on a full size 75b frame. I don't see it as being an issue or much of an advantage. Some may see it as illegal because the rules allow certain things and have a non-inclusive list for non-allowed. It's not that you are changing the gun you have but rather trying to make a gun the factory doesn't to gain a perceived advantage.

Trying the game the CCP division? I know of others doing with with a CZ75 compact on a full size 75b frame. I don't see it as being an issue or much of an advantage. Some may see it as illegal because the rules allow certain things and have a non-inclusive list for non-allowed. It's not that you are changing the gun you have but rather trying to make a gun the factory doesn't to gain a perceived advantage.

The SIG P320 Carry is perfect for CCP just like it is. It has a 3.9" barrel and uses full-size mags for a great grip.

BTW, I got a clarification on this rule from Robert Ray. He said it IS legal to shorten the dust cover on the replaceable grip module for the P320.

• 6 months later...

I saw a CCP gun play that was originally an M&P full size frame cut down with a compact slide. I don't think its legal. I think the rules allow you to make any frame you want but I don't believe they allow cutting the light rail off since it is not an approved modification and not an easily replaceable part like the P320 grip module.