Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Major And Alliant Red Dot

Tokarev

An old shotgunner passed away recently and I bought 32 pounds of Red Dot from his estate. I'll eventually use it up in a 12 gauge but I have so much I'd like to use it in other applications.

I've used Red Dot on and off for years in .45ACP and have always kind of liked it. But is it too fast for the .40? Alliant's website shows some data but I'd like some actual chrono/charge weight results if anybody has some info.

Thanks.

I have frequently used Red Dot in the 40 with lead bullets, but have used other powders with jacketed bullets.  Red Dot with jacketed bullets is a top end load with regard to pressure.

Guy

Thanks. Any help with load data for a 180 or 200 grain cast bullet? I've found the Lasercast 185's to be amazingly accurate but a little smokey. Anyway, I have some onhand if you can give me some possible data.

My 2c worth: It's WAY too fast to use with jacketed bullets in the summer heat.

Search the Forum for what most Limited shooters load for 40 ammo and you'll see the same bullet weight & the same 2 powders over & over again. There's a reason for that. The reason is that TiteGroup & N320 are as fast and as soft as you can go and still have the gun work the way it's supposed to with different guns & different conditions.