Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Was working on our club site today (www.bgslinc.com) and when I published the files, I noticed many of the navigation links didn't work.

When I opened up a few of the files I noticed all of the path references had changed and the paths were to my local computer.

For examlpe, something previously said:"/images/arrow.gif"

Would say something like: "file///c:/documents and settings/users/...../my documents/my website/bgsl/images/arrow.gif"

As you can image, this did not work when the html file was supplied by a server.

The only way I could figure out how to fix it was with a search & replace command.

Anybody know why this happend and how to keep it from happening again?

The path is supposed to be truncated to the root folder of the site on upload, it wasn't. How it happened is a Microsoft trade secret ;-) To keep it from happening again, get out of Front Page and into a program that doesn't do things you don't initiate.

MS Front Page blows. DreamWeaver, GoLive and hand coding in a quality text editor like BBEdit do not.

--

Regard,

It's been awhile since I used FrontPage, but if I remember correctly, when you insert the pictures you need to make sure that it's "relative to the site root", not the document.

And what Geoff said is absolutely true, FrontPage is rough to work with. DreamWeaver is a much easier program and I believe you can still download it for free for a trial. Once you've developed the site in DreamWeaver and your trial expired you can use FrontPage to make edits.

That link speaks volumes to the problem with the idiots in Redmond. They really do think that they are a standard unto themselves.

I once heard a presenter from Microsoft open a speech with the following joke.

Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: None, they just re-declare darkness to be the industry standard!

The MS superiority complex is the reason that MS applications overwrite all your Adobe Postscript fonts with their garbage TrueType knockoffs whenever you do installs. I always empty my system font folder before installing MS crap and after the install is done, I drop my fonts back in overwriting any MS ones that would have bushwacked me.

Don't ever believe that Word will give you a nice little website from your design efforts in it either! Conversely, if you export a complex page layout from Adobe InDesign to HTML, it's pretty solid code overall. Go figure ;-)

--

Regards,

Was working on our club site today (www.bgslinc.com) and when I published the files, I noticed many of the navigation links didn't work.

When I opened up a few of the files I noticed all of the path references had changed and the paths were to my local computer.

For examlpe, something previously said:"/images/arrow.gif"

Would say something like: "file///c:/documents and settings/users/...../my documents/my website/bgsl/images/arrow.gif"

As you can image, this did not work when the html file was supplied by a server.

The only way I could figure out how to fix it was with a search & replace command.

Anybody know why this happend and how to keep it from happening again?

Dreamweaver can generate those file///c:/ absolute paths, too, but he at least TELLS you he's going to do it instead of keeping it a secret.

Anyway, one way I've found this can happen (I've seen this in maintaining georgiaipsc.com and uspsa-area6.org) is if I copy/paste a part of one website into the other, for instance a table from gaipsc into area6. You can DO it, and everything looks like it worked, but the imbedded images come over with absolute path names of file///c:.../images/myimage.gif instead of relative links of images/myimage.gif. You don't really realize its happened until after you publish and look at the page content as presented by your web host.

In Frontpage, its a good practice to get into to actually IMPORT web components into Frontpage so that he knows about them internally. This can be done by pulldown File, select Import..., then picking your file(s)/folder(s)/etc, or by selecting the Folders view within Frontpage and then dragging your external components into your web that way. I have found by doing that he'll generate proper relative links within your web.

www.bgslinc.com. Nice site, by the way! :) I didn't know you could generate a web-based calendar out of Outlook.

Don't ever believe that Word will give you a nice little website from your design efforts in it either! ...

Word?! Yeah, I've never seen so much crap added to html code in my life as is generated out of Word! Hell, Dreamweaver's even got a special "Clean Up Word Html..." menu item on the "Commands" pulldown just for that stated purpose.

www.bgslinc.com. Nice site, by the way!  I didn't know you could generate a web-based calendar out of Outlook.

Did that with Outlook 2003 - very handy way to deal with a fairly thorny problem. I think it is just File/Save As Webpage.

In addition to the references above, I've heard other good things about Dreamweaver, so it looks like it is worth exploring.

I hate to learn another package (though haven't really "learned" Frontpage), but I can't stand having to search and replace all the file references again. What a cluster!

Thanks again!

I once heard a presenter from Microsoft open a speech with the following joke.

Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: None, they just re-declare darkness to be the industry standard!

I think they got that from IBM :D , they'll always be my #1 evil software company. Microsoft's been, I know hard to believe, a dream to work with compared to the IBM of a decade ago. Particularly mainframes but the OS/2 guys were worse.

I think they got that from IBM  , they'll always be my #1 evil software company. Microsoft's been, I know hard to believe, a dream to work with compared to the IBM of a decade ago. Particularly mainframes but the OS/2 guys were worse

You are right about BigBlue when they ruled the world. They sold the customer what they wanted to sell, no matter what the customer wanted. They were truly the trade union of turnkey hardware/software business solutions. If you were an IBM customer, it was all their way for a long, long time. You were basically at their mercy once you bought in.

The best trade union joke I have ever heard goes:

Q: How many union stagehands does it take to change a light bulb in Chicago?

A: Twelve! You gotta' problem with that?

--

Regards,

No re-learning involved - trust me, if you can figure out FrontPage, Dreamweaver will be, well, a DREAM :)

Well, let's not go quite THAT far! Rearranging your web page design standards to live in a .css stylesheet world is a bit of a leap, but still worth it. Same thing to a lesser extent with templates, and templates are REALLY worth it!

I think they got that from IBM  :D , they'll always be my #1 evil software company.  Microsoft's been, I know hard to believe, a dream to work with compared to the IBM of a decade ago. Particularly mainframes but the OS/2 guys were worse.

Hey, for getting real work done, as in out the door, on time, EVERY day, I'll take a fully-decked out MVS system with your choice of online systems (CICS, IMS, DB2) over a rack full of tiny-iron MS/Linux/Unix/other-laden boxes ANY DAY!