Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Debugging a forward set sear

Lior

Hello folks. I have two M&P pros with flat triggers and the forward set sear installed. In the second gun, I had to bend the connector loop up a bit for it to reach the sear. Here's a video of the gun not resetting consistently. When the slide is forced slightly to the right during racking, the striker does not get cocked by the sear (i.e. the trigger bar loop is not letting the sear catch the striker despite the trigger being held back).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCdF8gW-nY8

Any tips in remedying this situation would be appreciated.

Edited by Lior

Take the slide off and test the loop to sear reset process. If the trigger pretravel is set too shallow the loop will not be able to get in front of the sear to reset properly. You may need to pinch down the loop a little to create the proper amount of pretravel before the loop touches the sear.

Follow up: after swapping slides between two M&P pros, one of which I have been shooting for a while and functioned reliably, I concluded that the striker's tab was missing the sear during cycling, by being too high or constrained in the striker channel. After detail stripping the offending striker assembly and cleaning everything, the gun functions well, even if I pull upwards/ rightwards on the slide during cycling to reset. One suspect was the geometry of the coils of the striker spring.

Edited by Lior

With loaded mags the slide is pushed up, reducing striker tab and sear engagement. If i was in your situation, i would replace the offending striker assembly. Probably an expensive hassle in Israel. Glad you got it sorted out. Yofi!