Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame mount vs milled slide.

thompsoncustom

I was wondering if there was any upside to a frame mounted reflex sight like the cmore vs a reflex milled into the slide.

I've wanted to build a Cz open gun but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Now that I'm looking into it again wondering what would be the better setup for a reflex sight.

Since there's a couple reflex's with a lifetime warranty will just take sight life out of the equation.

I was wondering if there was any upside to a frame mounted reflex sight like the cmore vs a reflex milled into the slide.

I've wanted to build a Cz open gun but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Now that I'm looking into it again wondering what would be the better setup for a reflex sight.

Since there's a couple reflex's with a lifetime warranty will just take sight life out of the equation.

The dot will be more stable on a frame mount as opposed to the slide.

You can't take sight life out of the equation because when that sight fails the day before a major match or during the match you will need a backup gun or at the very least a backup sight. But you will have to get it swapped out and zero'd before you continue. When it fails in the middle of a stage you also suffer points wise.

There is a reason you see far more frame mounted optics than slide mounted.

I did notice that there is a lot of frame mounted one and that's why it got me wondering. But like I said for me sight life doesn't matter because I have no plans on competing just having a open style gun to play with.

I would think a frame mounted dot POA vs POI would be off where a milled slide would be much better.

Edited by thompsoncustom

I've shot both. I ran an RMR on an M&P C.O.R.E. and now I run a Glock 17 with C-More and Carver mount. Personally I like the stationary dot more than the slide ride. I also shoot Rimfire Pistol Open and Rimfire Rifle Open with C-More red dots so it's nice having a statically mounted sight for everything. I'm considering shooting some Carry Optics matches next year and that will require me to use a slide ride to comply with division rules.

I did notice that there is a lot of frame mounted one and that's why it got me wondering. But like I said for me sight life doesn't matter because I have no plans on competing just having a open style gun to play with.

I would think a frame mounted dot POA vs POI would be off where a milled slide would be much better.

For just plinking then reliability won't matter. A small optic will not be too far above where iron sights would be. Some but nothing like a full size Cmore for instance. Also remember, if you mill the slide you lose the iron sight dovetail in case you want to switch back someday. With a frame mount all you have are a few screw holes in the frame if you decide to switch.