Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Ar's For 3 Gun?

GrimReaper

Looking at the possible purchase of a RRA National Match A2 for 3 gun matches and other varied uses.

Would using a NM A2 weighing over 9.5 pounds and 20 inch barrel be to much of a handicap, compared to a 16 inch 7.5 pound gun? I'm not expecting to win any 3 gun shoots, but use competition to improve my skills. The gun may also see some use for hunting, that's why I'm considering the NM2.

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

In MHO it would be Grim to use anything heavier or longer than a carbine for 3-gun Reaper. However, if you are on a budget and will be shooting more DCM-type matches than 3-gun then the choice is clearly to go with the DCM AR-15. 3-gun is fast and furrious with targets rarely exceeding 300 yards.

Best Regards,

Looking at the possible purchase of a RRA National Match A2 for 3 gun matches and other varied uses.

Would using a NM A2 weighing over 9.5 pounds and 20 inch barrel be to much of a handicap, compared to a 16 inch 7.5 pound gun?  I'm not expecting to win any 3 gun shoots, but use competition to improve my skills.  The gun may also see some use for hunting, that's why I'm considering the NM2.

TIA

If you don't mind hauling it around, it will work fine as a "get into it and see" gun.

After you tote it around at a few three gun matches, you will decide if heavy is for you, or not. My limited setup AR is like 12-13 pounds and I don't mind that at all. But my Open JP CTR-02 is under 8 pounds and I like that too ;-)

Shoot it for a while and enjoy yourself. No reason you can't do that for as long as you want to.

--

Regards,

Since I used to do pretty well with a 15 lbs DCM AR ( :o ), I do feel that shooting a DCM gun will not be much of a handicap, particularly when shooting long range stages.

I even won some short range courses against the likes of Bennie Cooley and Kurt Miller with my 15lber.

So if YOU don't mind it, do worry about it.