Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax tactical- picatinny rail mounting holes stripped

jjman15

Well as the title reads my receiver screw holes to mount the picatinny rail are completely gone. This took about 2-3 years.

A little background, this gun is only used for hunting and only shoots 3” – 3-1/2” hevi-shot loads or slugs. The optics are either an Aimpoint T1 on a larue mount or a 3-9 Vortex scope for deer hunting. This forum has the most versamax chatter and experts so I figured I’d get the most guidance here.

Long story short the rail was installed properly initially, and lock-tited but those 3-1/2” shells beat the crap out of it and the aluminum receiver just can’t take it over time. I did re-snug the screws every once in awhile because they do loosen up from the recoil. I’ve done some research and seen it to be a common problem with the Benelli M4 but not much documented with the Versamax (I think mainly because not many people use optics/hunt with them). The steel screws actually pulled the aluminum threads out in a coil.

Has anyone else seen this problem? How hard is it to install helicoil’s? I guess that was the fix for the Benelli’s. For now I’ve just tapped to the next size up (4MM) but I know it won’t hold for long, I’m looking for a permanent fix. I’d like to bring the issue to Remington’s attention but I doubt they’d even care.

Any tips are appreciated

Shift the base back 1/2” and drill/tap 4 new holes (I would use 8-40 screws). This will put 2 screws (instead of the original 1) through the thickest part of the receiver. Make sure the screw are long as possible for maximum thread engagement.

To add strength to the set up you could run screws up through the original receiver holes into newly drill/tapped holes in the base. (Counter sink the screw heads inside the receiver).

Part of the problem is that the relatively soft aluminum will deform, and with new/re-tapped holes the problem will recur even faster due to the lack of anodizing. I'd start out by contacting Remington and see if they can do anything for you under warranty... you won't know until you ask. Failing this, helicoils or the countersunk solution mentioned above are probably your best bet.

Other suggestions: (1) Switch to a lighter optic. (2) Replace the Remington action spring with a Wolff Extra Power for the Benelli... this should dampen the bolt impact impulse a little with the hot loads.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Appreciate the feedback. Once deer season is over i'll be in contact with Remington and i'll post their response.

I use Larue mounts on 3 different optics for this gun, so it does see varying weights of optics. T-Bascus is correct in that the stipping occurred when the screws loosen during a range session, and unless you snugged them up after every shot there's no preventing that. The factory screw threads were also not very deep, so there wasn't much to grab. Lock-tite was never good enough for the job, maybe rock-set like you'd use on a muzzlebrake? I'd venture to guess all the damage was done during pattern testing for turkey/coyote over the years, multiple shots of all hot loads and almost everytime I remember the rail breaking loose from the lock-tite and needing to be re-done.

Again, thanks for the input.