Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax shell latch removal

kmca

I've been looking at the receiver for a couple of days and I can't figure out how to get the shall latch out so I can tap it for an oversized release button and contour the latch so it's easier to load. Sorry if I'm a little "dense", can someone give me some advise?

It is held with a roll pin. You need a thin, relatively long punch and tap it out. It will eventually come up through the hole in the ejection port. I tap them out just so the shell latch is released and never completely remove the roll pin.

It is held with a roll pin. You need a thin, relatively long punch and tap it out. It will eventually come up through the hole in the ejection port. I tap them out just so the shell latch is released and never completely remove the roll pin.

Thank you. I guess I was having a "stupid moment". Did you happen to leave the inner latch spring out when you replaced the latch? My bolt release button is very hard to push.

Ok, I tapped the pin until it touches the action rail and it doesn't release the latch???? It seems the pin might be too long?

Edited by kmca

I leave both springs IN on the VM. The spring is beneficial to loading and function. The difficulty is in the interference, I take off a crescent shaped amount of material on the portion that contacts the rim, parallel with the shell axis.

You have to go past the rail into the last thick portion of the ejection port..

Do you mean there's a relief hole in the upper action rail? I used a roll pin punch and the pin seems to have bottomed out when the pin contacts the upper rail? It can't be that difficult???????

Edited by kmca

You need a very long punch to get the roll pin all the way through. My Starrett punches are not long enough, with about 3/4" of straight diameter. I took a 5/64" allen wrench, cut the short arm off of it and use that to get the roll pin all the way through to the ejection port.

Ok, I found the problem and I was rather ignorant in my explanation. I went to my local Bass Pro store and looked at another Versamax. The left handed version (which is what I have and failed to mention) is NOT a mirror image of the right hand version. The hole in the right handed ejection port is clearly visible. Mine doesn't have one. So, the only thing I can do is drill out the pin. There is no through hole to drive the pin through. Any way...thanks all for your input :)

Put down the drill.

Is the pin solid or hollow?

Inside the receiver do you see a small slit across and perpendicular to the feed latch pin area?

Is the feed latch and pin on the ejection port side of the gun?

Edited by GunCat

Put down the drill.

Inside the receiver do you see a small slit across and perpendicular to the feed latch pin area?

It's a hollow pin on the side opposite the ejection port. You sure get up early or stay up late :bow:

Put down the drill.

It's a hollow pin on the side opposite the ejection port. You sure get up early or stay up late :bow:

I am an early riser... And on central time.

If there is no clip holding the pin in place then I would run a small tap or screw into the hollow section and pull the pin out of its hole.

UPDATE:

After I drove the pin deeper, I had to take a Dremel with a cut-off wheel and very carefully cut about 1/8 inch off the pin, drove it doesn further, cut another 1/8th off and continued until it was all the way through. It took a while because I didn't want to nick the receiver. I cut a new pin so that it's flush with the bottom of the receiver. In the future, if I need to remove the latch again, I'll take a solid pin, about 1/8" long, slightly smaller than the hole, and drive the pin out the bottom far enough to grab it with vise grips.

Anyway..thanks for all the help.