Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

another open glock question

noexcuses

Looking at building a open top end based off a g22 top end for my g35 limited gun.I will never compete for a national championship and am just a C class shooter. Love to tinker and compete with friends. Eye sight is not as good as it once was a few years ago and tried carry optics this weekend and loved shooting a red dot. Did not like all the reloading and prefer my g35 limiteds lower, (IE magwell and grips, trigger ect) better then production style carry optics lower. I don't think that having to reload in a larger course is going to cost me a match, I screw up lots of other things worse then a reload lol. I have a bunch of both 9mm and 40 brass (range pickups), I also have a bunch of MG 124JHP's. And several different powders to experiment with. Have dies for both 9mm and 40 but not worried about buying another die set. Not sure what caliber to go with, Major 9mm, 40 open or 357 sig? I will post what I see as the pros and cons of each for me and would love to here others opinions.

9mm major

pro's

ammo cap

cheaper bullets

more gas then 40??

Cons

issues with KB.

40 S&W

pro's

more forgiving then 9major

Cons

more expensive bullets

less capacity

357sig

pros

cheaper bullets then 40

more forgiving then 9major to reload

more powder choices then 9major

cons

round count ie mag capacity.

less barrel choices then threaded 40 or 9mm

So what do you all think??

Never seen a 9 Major KaBoom, mainly because they are usually compressed loads so there is no bullet setback, but have witnessed several case ruptures. There are limited powder choices for .357SIG because the charge has to pretty much fill the case. Mag capacity is the same as 40S&W. I load both 9mm and .357SIG. First of all, major floor Glocks don't have a really long life, but if you don't plan to shoot Area's or Nationals, just go Open 9mm minor. 27 plus 1 round with Taylor extensions, you can run an optic, and the gun will live forever at the minor floor.

I had a g35 that I built into an open gun. Besides having to make a reload when others didn't, I never saw the .40 as a problem. I would prefer to have a slightly lower magazine capacity and be scored major than shoot a minor plastic gun in open. I don't like plastic for major.

Never seen a 9 Major KaBoom, mainly because they are usually compressed loads so there is no bullet setback, but have witnessed several case ruptures. There are limited powder choices for .357SIG because the charge has to pretty much fill the case. Mag capacity is the same as 40S&W. I load both 9mm and .357SIG. First of all, major floor Glocks don't have a really long life, but if you don't plan to shoot Area's or Nationals, just go Open 9mm minor. 27 plus 1 round with Taylor extensions, you can run an optic, and the gun will live forever at the minor floor.

Hmmm 9mm minor sounds like a plan at least for a year or soo. If I decide to shoot major then I could just switch to 357sig with a barrel change or 40 open with a barrel and comp change.