Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to USPSA, 9mm or .40

jabate01

And I believe someone suggested to you 40 major, which means changing divisions

I would never suggest 40 to anyone unless they reload and can download it to 170ish PF Major or minor. Factory 40 tends to be 180ish PF or more, unnecessary .....

Saw WWB go 164PF out of a G22 at Area 4. He was shooting Production, luckily.

OP, If you like production, keep what you have. If you want to shoot limited, buy a 2011 in .40.

• 3 months later...

I'm late on this topic, but I'll put my two cents in anyway. I've shot both in production. 9mm and 40 minor. I started out shooting what I had, a SIG P226 in .40. I then decided to go with a striker fired gun and bought my M&P and stayed with a 40. Did that for a couple of years and decided to go the CZ route. So then i went 9mm. I didn't go with the SP01 Shadow, but just a regular SP01 although I did upgrades and made it pretty nice. Determined that I wasn't really shooting any better with that platform, had a buddy wanting it and I had another project I needed founding for so for now I'm back to the M&P 40. So which is better? To start with what every you have is what you should shoot. But survey's show the majority of production shooters do shoot 9mm. I have ran into a few other shooters that shot 40 and mostly they are like me, a bit older. They say a 40 minor is lighter shooting than the 9mm. Maybe so but maybe not by much. 180 gr 40's are more expensive than 147 gr 9mm by a couple of cents a round I think. Easy enough to look that up. But to me the major pain of shooting the 40 is picking up brass. If you wait to the end of the stage or match to police brass, you are going to look at a lot of 9mm to find your 40's. I'm thinking of buying a M&P in 9 myself.

When I got started, I watched a few matches and then decided what division I wanted to compete in. My first matches were shot using a Taurus 92 clone, in minor limited. From there I picked limited 10, (yeah, I know, many here see it as useless), and went with the .45 since I was so used to it.

I have never regretted that decision, but I can only tell you to watch what the others are shooting. If you do not, you just might end up wasting a bunch of money like I did. I don't regret the .45 choice (not recommended except for me), but the "USPSA" gun I bought was not worth the cost. Jusy because a company labels a pistol as USPSA ready doesn't mean a doggone thing.

To me if there are extra points to be made in a division for shooting major, then go with the .40. Keep in mind .40 can be used in any division, and can be downloaded to minor. Ask the guys you shoot with what they are using, and start with that gun. It will shoot as good as you can. Buy the correct holster and mag holders, a lot of time will be saved with them right gear.

Just don't do what I did, and regret a really dumb decision. The shooters at the matches are great people, and will be your most valuable assets on gun choice.