Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lyman M die users

I am loading 223 on my Xl650 and am having a issue with brass shaving off my bullets when loading. I am using the Dillon RT-1200 trimmer which everyone knows sizes the case mouth a little tight to seat your bullets after. What I have been doing is manually deburring and chamferring the cases which is pretty time consuming. I see that some of the jacket on my bullets are being shaved when loading BUT they are tight enough where I don't have to crimp any of my rounds which I do like. If I decided to use a Lyman M die to stop the shaving of the jackets will I have to crimp each round after? It's probably debatable but is shaving a little of the bullets jacket really a big deal?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

I use an m die specifically to avoid that issue (and to avoid having to chamfer.) I have the m die adjusted to just barely open the case miuth. I do have a dillon crimp die in the tool head and I have it adjusted to just remove the bell the m die imparts. That has worked well for me.

Sorry.. have reread. I skimmed the 1st post and saw 1200 there.. computed that into 1050.. as I'm ordering parts for my 1050s etc and have it on my mind.

You dont have a 1050, thus you dont already have one......

Either way, that or a M die will work

Try a normal resizing die in the last station if you can get it to fit and back it off a turn or so and see what the burr is like.. should wipe it out

i will fit my M die in station 5 next time i load 223, need to treat the blue collar on the trimmer.

the dies i use:

#1 RCBS lube die

#2 Forster F/L size die (just to ensure case mouths are round and size 2/3 of the case)

#3 empty

#4 RT-1200

#5 M die.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got my M die in the mail today. I got it all setup and ran some flat base bullets through the press. The necks are still tight but I am not noticing and shavings from the bullets so I am guessing it is working right. The instructions on the die say that you can screw it down some more and kind of bell 1/16" of the top of the case for cast bullets but I am guessing I won't need to do that. Since I don't normally crimp flat base bullets I tried forcing the bullet in the case to see if the neck tension was enough and the bullet did not budge so I think it is good to go. I will have to load some boat tails next and see how they work, I will probably put a light crimp on those like normal just to be safe.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Instead of starting a new thread I will ask here, anyone else have there M die stick while its pulling out of the case mouth jarring the press a little. I tried polishing it and it didn't make any difference.

I run 223/300 BO brass in quantity on 1050's and when the case is in position 7 (empty) I will run a lubed brush down the neck. Doesn't take any extra time and the benefit is the brush removes chips and applies lube to make the expanding operation easier.

anyone else have there M die stick while its pulling out of the case mouth jarring the press a little. I tried polishing it and it didn't make any difference.

I used to get a bit of sticking when I expanded with M dies. These days I use a Sinclair expander with floating carbide mandrel, which reduces the sticking, then flare a little with an M die with a custom mandrel; the first part is fractionally undersize and just serves as a pilot, so it is flaring only and doesn't stick.