Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crooked Seating/Bell Size

longbeard

Hey all,

I'm new to loading .40 and am using a Lee carbide set loading to 1.180 on for an STI Edge. I had a few bullets that jammed the gun. These are older SNS cast/lubed 180 LFP

The OAL was fine, but upon further inspection they wouldn't pass the drop test. Looking at the scuff marks on the bullet it appears they are just a little crooked. I've talked to people and read all kinds of posts, and I'm going to go shorter to 1.160 and open up the bell a little bit. Anyone have a measurement on a belling that works for them? I realize it's kind of a feel thing, but if you have a number I'd be interested to know. Any other insights appreciated as well.

Making sure that you keep the projectile as aligned/centered on the case mouth as possible until in enters the seating die will help also.

Bell/expand just enough that the bullet will sit on top when placed there carefully.

For cast bullets I highly recomend a Lyman type "M" expander, this type expander opens the mouth more and creates a "step" for the bullet to start straight and not tip during seating.

bulletseatingflaresands_zps1aff9c57.jpg

The Lyman patent for the type "M" die expired and many of the die manufactures are now using the same type expander. The illistrations below are from the Redding website.

mtype_zpsd7a1881f.jpg

typeM_zpsab079dc2.jpg

I even use a Lyman type "M" die for expanding the necks of my AR15 ammo.

Various3_zpsi85oz4p6.png

Thanks, I've never used one. Sounds like this might be a reason to buy one and try it out!

In the last year I bought a Redding carbide die for .44 magnum and a RCBS .357 carbide die and was surprized both dies had the type "M" expander. And in another forum I read that some compeditive shooters were using the type "M" die for their AR15s and M14/M1a to help reduce neck runout when expanding the necks and seating bullets and it seams to work with my rifles.

• 2 weeks later...

In most cases, crooked bullets come from NOT using a properly sized expander die (or, in many cases, no expander at all and only flaring the case mouth). Run your case through your expander die. The case ID below the case mouth flare should be 0.001-0.002" less than actual bullet diameter. So, if loading a 0.401" bullet, the expander should leave the case ID at 0.399-0.400". Any smaller, and the bullet has to expand the case.

In other cases, the seating stem is a poor fit and not only can't align the bullet, but can actually push the bullet off-center. If using Lee dies, send Lee some bullets and ask for a seating stem that only contacts the bullet on the ogive, and as low on the ogive as possible.

Next, there are those who worry so much about the "don't use too much case flare as it will wear out the case" that they use too little flare and the bullet is just about balanced on top of the case and easily tilts going in the die. I see more bad ammo produced from too little flare than from too much flare.

I use so much flare loading HBWCs in the S&W M52 .38 Spl that the case mouth will barely enter the seating die and I have NOT lost a single case that can be attributed to excess flaring. The reason is that the excess flare allows the wadcutter to be seated further into the case and it has much less tendency to tip--I can't bet a seating stem to only contact the bullet ogive, since there is none. Before I was getting about 1-2 case mouth splits every 100 rounds and I am still getting about 1 case mouth split every 100 rounds (yes, I don't really remember any case mouth splits in the last few years, but I can put that down to being used to them).

If you go with an M-die, also be sure the expansion is correct and put some Lok-Tite on the thread of the expander so it doesn't loosen in operation.

Thanks for the thorough reply. I am currently experimenting with using hot glue to create a seating stem plug for the bullet profile and an M die. It is much improved and I'm close to calling the issue solved. I will check the measurements regarding expansion.

• 4 weeks later...

It worked out pretty well, and I'd definitely recommend it because it is so easy to do. I wonder though, if it would really help on the Lee die where the narrow stem doesn't really come down far enough on the ogive.

Anyone ever try it with a Lee die?