Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 22 - Adding a Compensator

GregSmith

Have a fun, "almost anything goes" kind of match coming up and, just for fun, I was wondering if you'd actually notice any difference throwing a Carver comp on my .40 with stock ammo? If not, what simple things would need to be changed to make it remotely worth adding a comp?

Admittedly, I know relatively nothing about pistol comps or open pistols... But if it would reduce recoil, why not?

Thanks in advance!

G

Hey Greg,

Stock ammo in 40 doesn't produce much gas to help keep the muzzle down and work the comp. typically the guys who run 40 with a comp run 135 grain reloads with a slow burning powder at a pretty high velocity to get the gas to make a comp work.

If you wanted to use store bought ammo you may or may not notice much of a difference when adding the comp.

If it is any anything goes match, i would use 22 round big sticks and the G22 as it sits. At least you will have a few extra rounds.

Josh Froelich

On my G22 (Gen4) I added a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel (friend was selling so I said what the heck), Carver Comp, carver Gen 3 Guiderod, ZEV magwell, picked up an extra G22 slide, had it milled down and dropped a FF red dot on it.

Mainly for the same reason.....the fun of it.

I have the Lone Wolf barrel to go 40 cal, just need to pickup a comp for it.
Here is what I can tell you:

1. Yes it cut down on recoil...but not by much (keep in mind we are talking 9mm in this case)
2. Factory loads are iffy, it will not run Remington UMC but will run Winchester White Box with only an occasional jam.

3. Handloads tuned to the gun would work much better.

Bottomline.....just have fun with it.

post-61429-0-74864000-1445869229_thumb.j

You mentioned that you just want to use factory loads so make sure to get a compensator that has less ports, with Carver get the 3 port or lower. Then Change the recoil spring to the lowest you can get i think the lowest i used was 11lbs spring. Make sure the channels on the slide is well lubed. I think thats the most important things to change on a factory load ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk