Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought an older tanfoglio open gun

Garmil

This is my first open gun and my first small frame so not really sure what I got myself in to yet but I picked this up.

The open upper is 9x21 and the other is 9x19. Not sure if I'm just going to try and use the 9x21 as is or get a barrel and try to get the comp on the other slide maybe?

I don't recognize the trigger at all anyone else?

Mags look like they vary a lot so not sure what all I have yet, looks like one may be longer than 170.

I know the red dot is garbage but the mount looks ok.

post-56194-0-44761000-1445309532_thumb.j

post-56194-0-38136800-1445309559_thumb.j

post-56194-0-93787000-1445309571_thumb.j

post-56194-0-89520500-1445309584_thumb.j

post-56194-0-05357900-1445309598_thumb.j

post-56194-0-10990900-1445309612_thumb.j

post-56194-0-98827700-1445309623_thumb.j

Shoot 9x19 from the comped 9x21 top and enjoy it!

Sure is a SWEET looking set up!

I can't help w the trigger.

Can't wait for a range report!

That's what i was hoping to hear :) would make things much easier shooting 9x19!

Thanks

Shoot 9x19 from the comped 9x21 top and enjoy it!

Sure is a SWEET looking set up!

I can't help w the trigger.

Can't wait for a range report!

Have you actually done that a decent amount? Been reading about it and I see a lot more people saying not to. But none of those posts really say something bad happened just not to do it.

Did read that a bunch of new 929 revolvers are cut for 9x21 with most people not knowing and shooting 9x19 some say accuracy suffers though.

I have not with 9x21 in 9mm.

I shot 200+ rounds 9mm major in 38 super barrel today. I would shoot 9x23 win out of it too. Sti even recommends putting a box of 9x23 win through a new 38 super gun to help breaking it in.

I shot .40 in my 10mm hunter when I had it as well.

9x19 and 9x21 run the same OAL the main reason 9x21 is available is for countries that don't allow military caliber for civilians.

There will be 2mm of brass short, that's really it. If there's any build up it would be in that area only I would guess. I've shot 9mm and gone right back to 38 super with no issues at all.

Do what you feel safe doing in the end. It is your gun. If I owned it I would shoot 9x19 and not think twice.

Pretty much. Then you would get a light strike and have to get the brass out of the chamber, if that.

Remove the barrel, take a 9x19 loaded bullet and drop it in. If you have any 9x21 do the same and compare. The brass should be just by the hood. With the loads calling for the same OAL they should fit about the same.

Again it is entirely up to you

Edited by Open1215

Yeah I'll at least try it with 9x19 starting with some lighter loads. Gun is on the way not in my possession so I'm just trying to get prepared.

I'm hoping the rifling doesn't start too deep so I can get an oal close to touching so even if something slipped it could jump a few thousands instead of 2mm.

No there isn't much difference in listed max oal. But from what I've seen all the published loads and factory loads are longer in 9x21 so wasn't sure if the rifling is any deeper normally in a 9x21 chamber.

Edited by Garmil

Ok thanks I'll find out soon enough.

Have some rmr heavy plated 124rn, and pd 124 jhp. Aa#7, hs6, and wac. Have a little 9x21 loaded ammo so I'll test out some major loads in both cases.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to shoot the gun tonight.

Shot some 9x21 factory ammo and was getting ftf jams against the barrel. Pulling back the slide partially and dropping fixed them.

Shot a few round of 9x19 in the 9x21 barrel and they shot fine but the brass stayed in the chamber.

Yeah I pulled it out and cleaned it last night. Compared it to the one in the 9x19 slide and they look the same but I'll try swapping in the other and see if anything changes. Will try both extractor springs as well.

As far as tuning the extractor goes I don't have a clue what to do yet.

Edited by Garmil

Swapped to a different extractor. Gun seemed to cycle but didn't eject. Could it be over spring for the factory ammo? The lightest I have right now is 8lb for my elite limited. I compared it to the spring in the gun and the small frame one is a lot shorter and I'm unsure about the weight.

Edited by Garmil

After some cleaning and polishing and swapping parts I got the gun running perfect with stock mags up to the 25 and 30 round pro mags.

Worked up a minor load today that feels pretty flat and soft.

Rmr 100 grain RN heavy plate

9.0 grains AA#7

1.105 oal

Cci spp

1296 fps average

SD of 4

Edited by Garmil