Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody Know Ronda Rousey? (Help Request for a Good Cause)

Here's my attempt to test the Six Degrees of Separation theory in the pursuit of a worthy cause, and I'm hoping the BEnos community can help me out.

In the real world, I'm a Vice Principal of Athletics at a large high school in Los Angeles County. I'm privileged to have a really wonderful young lady in my high school. Once upon a time, she and her siblings lived in horrible circumstances until they were given up for adoption by her parents, and in the aftermath of that personal tragedy, she admits that she lost her way in the world. When she came to my high school, she discovered wrestling and eventually turned her life around through the pursuit of excellence via athletics and the discipline that wrestling provided her. As a testament to how awesome this young lady is, she was literally adopted by one our school's teachers, a gift to her that also has helped her in her personal resurrection into the young lady she's become.

I need to emphasize that this trunaround isn't just a matter of her becoming a solid athlete, but a truly wonderful person. She will help any struggling kid who needs somebody to act as a peer mentor and is willing to accept her help as someone who has walked in their shoes. She does this by being the best person possible who accepts responsibility for her failings and conscientiously works hard to fix those failings. She leads by example. Furthermore, her capacity to forgive and "rise above" others pretty astounding.

Athletically, last year she finished 3rd in California amongst female wrestlers in her weight class. This year, I expect her to finish 1st in California. She's so good that one of her biggest barriers is finding boys who can challenge her enough in sparring practice to help her improve.

Ronda Rousey is constantly pitched to her as an athlete for her to model herself after. I recently watched an interview of Ms. Rousey, and it sounds as if Ms. Rousey had some struggles to overcome while growing up as well.

Personally, I would love it if my student could meet Ms. Rousey--or even just get a letter or shout out of some sort--before this wrestling season begins to encourage her towards winning the championship this year. If I could help to get this to happen, it would be a wonderful payback to this young lady for what has done for herself and what she continues to do for others. I do believe that Ms. Rousey trains in the SoCal area, so this may not be too far-fetched of a possibility.

Is there anybody out there in the BEnos universe who could help out with this? If so, please PM me.

Thanks,

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...