Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using S&B rifle primers

igolfat8

Been using CCI magnum primers in my .223 this season. Today I loaded some S&B rifle primers and they sure inserted a lot easier than the CCI's. Has anyone noticed any difference in accuracy or velocity between the two primers?

Not yet. I loaded up 100 but have not shot any so far. They feel a lot softer inserting them so I doubt I will have any hard primer issues that CCIs are known for. I just don't know what the reliability is with them yet. Another unknown is that I load Magnum CCI primers in my rifle and the S&B are not offered in magnum so I don't know what difference that will make in performance either?

• 3 weeks later...

I have shot a couple of hundred and just finshed priming another 500. They all went bang and yesterday shot some 1/2 MOA groups with my bolt gun using R1200 and 50gr ZMax bullets which is my 3 Gun load.

I did however have som of the Small pistol S&B's to not fire on the first try with my Glock but they all fired after a second or third try so I think it's a tougher primer which if that is the same in the SR primers is a good thing.