Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags not dropping free

Garmil

I have an elite limited 9mm. Using mec gar mags, Grams spring and followers, Henning pads.

During dry fire my mags drop free %100 fine.

During live free they sometimes stick after racking a round in prior to firing.

Stick more often After firing rounds.

Almost always stick after firing at slide lock.

What would cause this?

The rounds get pushed fwd as the slide cycles.

Many have to round the leading edge of the slide at the bottom of the breach face. This will help prevent the problem.

There are several threads coving the issue, I suggest searching.

I did some searching and tried rounding that edge a little and polishing. Didn't work yet maybe I need to go a little further. It gets stuck with no rounds in the mag at slide lock as well

Worked on it some more and got a couple working but others will not. What is normally the problem if it happens with an empty mag? I can't see a difference between my mags that work and don't work.

I would take out the mag release and polish it up some. Not mirror bright, just smooth to ensure there are no catchy edges.

With the release out, insert mags (slide off) and look for any rubbing. Mine all drop like grease thru a goose.

After some experimenting my basepads/Magwell clearance are part of the issue. Something inside the gun as well since it changes at slide lock. If I put on the basepads incorrectly and leave a gap in front of the mag they drop fine. But installed normally they get too tight at the rear of the magwell.

This may not be the issue in your case, but I had a similar problem with my CZ SP-01 caused by the inside of one of the grip panels touching the magazine. I sanded the area down on that grip panel and haven't had a problem since. I attribute the issue to my manly-man grip strength distorting the grip panel. :P

Edited by BrazeauRacing

how many rounds are you loading in mags i found in mind if i load 20 mags will not drop but 19 will drop mag will expand with 20 also remove grips and see if they drop then

This is with no rounds in them or any amount. already removed grips as said above.