Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vise Advice

Doellemite

If you have the time, place, inclination, and know-how, I'd mount the vise on a 1/2 to 3/4 inch steel plate welded on top of a 6 or 8 inch piece of pipe set in or bolted to a concrete floor at your preferred working height when standing, and at least three feet of working room all the way around. Sometimes you just can't beat being able to move all the way around a piece rather than fiddling with the swivel lock-down screws.

http://www.willburtversavise.com/

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. After searching around, I bought the Versa Vise and am pleased with it. I called the company in Canal Fulton, OH and talked with the owner, who was quick in answering my questions. I like to support local businesses and make a point buy USA when I can. Was shipped quickly USPS.

FWIW

Gregor

Search Woodcraft.com, when there search "Woodriver Universal vise". It is just like the vise sold by Gunsmith suppliers for 69.00. The entire vise can be flipped on it side as well. They have jaw pads available. With the jaws being drilled I made my own jaw pads from wood,nylon and aluminum. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Edited by Build4u

I got mine at a flea market. It was covered in grease and grime and is at least 70 years old. But.. it is a solid piece of metal. It has zero play. I had been looking at vices and never could find one that didnt have a lot of play in it. Including the harbor freight. I paid $50 for this vice, took it home and stripped it, then painted it with some engine paint I had laying around. And now it is a brand new hi quality, solid vice for $50 and some an hour of elbow grease.