Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Eagle .40 sw load first time

glocklife34

Just acquired a STI Eagle 5.0 40 sw and im a novice reloader. I only load 9mm and will be trying the .40 s&w soon.

My current powder i have in stock is Titegroup, HS6, and wsf. Planning to load a 165 or 180 gr xtreme bullet fmj. If you have a specific load/recipe that you could share i would appreciate it. I heard that STI is reliable with longer OAL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of those I'd go with WSF or Titegroup. I've successfully made major with Titegroup at 1.135" OAL but as fast of a powder as it is, it takes some careful attention to metering as you're working up your loads. I'd grab a 180 grain Xtreme and not look back until you've burned through a keg of powder. 1.18" is a good starting point for OAL.

My thread should be just what the doctor ordered!

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214265

Really starting to prefer Blue Bullets and WST in my Edge, cheap and accurate!

Thanks for the link exactly what im looking for.

Ill try blue bullets too. I just ordered a 165gr and 180gr xtreme rnfp bullets i will try that first.

What dies are you using? Other forums recommended running it with grx die due to bulging or a egw u die. What would you recommend?

I use a Lee Bulge Buster on unknown brass, after that it goes thru a regular Lee 40 S&W Carbide Die set. If I'm processing Remington brass I'll use a Lee Undersize Carbide Sizer (but only for jacket/plated - it's generally not needed for cast bullets). I usually seat with the Lee Seater Die but I use a Redding Competition Seater Die too (depends on the bullet).

I use a Lee Bulge Buster on unknown brass, after that it goes thru a regular Lee 40 S&W Carbide Die set. If I'm processing Remington brass I'll use a Lee Undersize Carbide Sizer (but only for jacket/plated - it's generally not needed for cast bullets). I usually seat with the Lee Seater Die but I use a Redding Competition Seater Die too (depends on the bullet).

I have a dillon 550 with dillon dies. And i usually use a range pick up brass, but now i bought a once fired brass 40 s&w. Do you think it will be better for me to run all those brass in a Lee bulge buster since they are range pick up? I dont have the kit yet but i might buy it if it will be necessary.

Is Lee undersize carbide sizer and bulge buster has same function? Correct me if im wrong im new to reloading and thought myself to reload just by reading.

I hate having to use a Bulge Buster but it helps reliability when using a tight chambered STI gun and mixed brass. Glocks get all the comments but I've seen other guns that bulge brass even worse. Since I haven't had single feed failure in +2500 rounds using a Bulge Buster I'm a believer! Actually I've been using the Lee Bulge Buster from day one - still haven't tried any factory ammo in my Edge.

The Undersize Carbide Sizer is optional IMHO (but I love my gadgets!)

I hate having to use a Bulge Buster but it helps reliability when using a tight chambered STI gun and mixed brass. Glocks get all the comments but I've seen other guns that bulge brass even worse. Since I haven't had single feed failure in +2500 rounds using a Bulge Buster I'm a believer! Actually I've been using the Lee Bulge Buster from day one - still haven't tried any factory ammo in my Edge.

The Undersize Carbide Sizer is optional IMHO (but I love my gadgets!)

I might just try the Lee bulge buster. Some people recommend a Redding Grx, did you ever tried grx?

But Lee bulge is a far more cheaper than the grx, i might go on that route.

I run an EGW U die. I used to run the bulge buster but had issues with coated lead falling in the cases. I used both for a while then tried with just the EGW U die and everything runs fine. I'm also running a Glock 35 so there is still wiggle room.

So Egw u die would be replacement of my dillon decapping and resizing die? Would the egw eliminate bulging?

I run an EGW U die. I used to run the bulge buster but had issues with coated lead falling in the cases. I used both for a while then tried with just the EGW U die and everything runs fine. I'm also running a Glock 35 so there is still wiggle room.

So Egw u die would be replacement of my dillon decapping and resizing die? Would the egw eliminate bulging?

It has for me. My process may be different from many. I'm using a Lee Turret press that I manually index for my own reasons. I use a universal decapper with dirty brass (the walls don't touch). Wet tumble, hand prime, then EGW U die. I removed the pin from the die since I hand prime. Mounting the die as low as possible without hitting the ram has worked for me for thousands of rounds. Again, I'm using a Glock so my tolerances are much more forgiving. I don't own a tight chamber 40 but my reloads work in my Glock and M&P without issue.