Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BBI 135 grain LRN profile

flat9999

Having a little bit of an issue (or not) with coated 135 grain bullets. These are from BBI, and I would like to get them to 1.135" OAL. Now, loading other bullets, I never had a problem in either an EGW chamber checker or with a plunk test on the barrel getting OAL to1.140-1.150". Various JHPs, FMJs and coated lead bullets all passed the chamber checker barrel tests.

With these 135 grain bullets, I am getting slight rifling contact at 1.130-1.135", and chamber checker fails.

Not 100% sure if this will cause an issue or not, since I haven't gotten them to the range just yet.

Anybody have a similar observation? Should this be a concern?

Edited by flat9999

You can purchase a 9mm or .35 caliber throating reamer from Dave Manson and in about 30 minutes load them to the longest length your magazines will allow. The reamer costs $40.00. It would take about 6 to 8 turns to deepen the lead in your barrel to what you are asking for. You could also send it off to your favorite gunsmith to do this simple procedure for about the same price. The only other alternative is load your bullets shorter or change to a different style. If you have a Glock or XD/XDm barrel you will need to send it off as the Manson reamer will not cut the hardened steel in these OEM barrels.

You can purchase a 9mm or .35 caliber throating reamer from Dave Manson and in about 30 minutes load them to the longest length your magazines will allow. The reamer costs $40.00. It would take about 6 to 8 turns to deepen the lead in your barrel to what you are asking for. You could also send it off to your favorite gunsmith to do this simple procedure for about the same price. The only other alternative is load your bullets shorter or change to a different style. If you have a Glock or XD/XDm barrel you will need to send it off as the Manson reamer will not cut the hardened steel in these OEM barrels.

Understood, and I am hoping to not have to do this, since most other bullet profiles allow me to load much longer.

As an aside, my chamber checker would also have to be expanded in order to work correctly. I'd much sooner go with another bullet.

Correction to my above post. I am actually not touching the rifling, but rather the throat area of the barrel is tight against the bullet ogive. I tried shortening the OAL, but same happens regardless of length.

In doing a plunk test on the barrel, the bullet falls in easily, however it does not spin or fall out without some prompting.

Anybody else have this happen? I'd hate to have to scrap 1K bullets, but certainly don't want any unsafe loads.

I was able to load BBI 135s to 1.15" for my SA and Colt 9mm. You apparently have a tighter throat.

The EGW Chamber Checker has NO throat. It would not pass anything I have loaded except hardball profile jacketed or plated. I now use a Lyman gauge... because Midway did not have Wilson in stock.