Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Brass...

RWE

That wouldn't surprise me about the LY brass being soft, it seemed pretty out of spec too. I primed some LY brass and about half of the primers slid about halfway out of the primer pocket just by moving them a little and the rest could be easily pushed out with a paper clip. I scrapped the rest and any more that I find.

LY brass? That is a new one on me. What name does it sell under?

That wouldn't surprise me about the LY brass being soft, it seemed pretty out of spec too. I primed some LY brass and about half of the primers slid about halfway out of the primer pocket just by moving them a little and the rest could be easily pushed out with a paper clip. I scrapped the rest and any more that I find.

LY brass? That is a new one on me. What name does it sell under?

Looks like NORINCO.

LY-Norinco? Haven't run across that yet, but appreciate the heads up.

I hand inspect every case and there are only a few head stamps I will not reload which include these...IMT, AmmoLoad, Freedom, Amerc, NNY (?). I don't load 9 Major or the list would be longer.

It all depends on the cartridge. I have mixed brass for 9mm, 38/357, 44mag/spcl, and 45ACP and have started buying new Starline for all the other calibers I load (45 Colt, 454, 480). I've had problems with 38/357 rim dimensions being inconsistent and I get the occasional round that will not fit into my shell plate and locks the whole thing up. That got really annoying so I test every single case beforehand if it hasn't gone through once before. 45 ACP is now going to small pistol primers so I get the occasional round mixed in and that slows things down but really is just an annoyance, not a big deal. I learned it's easier to just buy new brass if you can afford it, but if you get range brass for free and segregate everything it's not a big deal. 9mm is so prevalent I just pickup whatever I can find on the range, I can usually load just about any 9mm cases I find. My 45 ACP cases vary considerably with some brands so I prefer to segregate all the brass I've used before and keep pickups separate. I keep all of my calibers in lots and will usually cycle them in batches of 500 or 1,000 but some of the high volume stuff I have no idea how many times it's been reloaded. I generally load any cases I find unless there is a noticeable defect. The only exception to that is high pressure rounds. I load some of the big boys up to max and I will not reload random range brass at high pressures, however you don't often find 44 or 480 brass lying around.

I have had the same problem with some 38 Special brass, some of the rims seem to big or otherwise out of spec and can't get them in the shellplate or only out with some difficulty. I just scrap those and move on, I don't want to have to fight with them or have it lock up my press either.

I haven't had too many problems with 9mm, .40, or .45. Other than AMERC, IMT, Ammoload, and others mentioned above that I scrap immediately.

I have had the same problem with some 38 Special brass, some of the rims seem to big or otherwise out of spec and can't get them in the shellplate or only out with some difficulty. I just scrap those and move on, I don't want to have to fight with them or have it lock up my press either.

I haven't had too many problems with 9mm, .40, or .45. Other than AMERC, IMT, Ammoload, and others mentioned above that I scrap immediately.

You can probably loosen/tighten your shell plate... I had an issue early on where I had my 550 shell plate too tight and brefly wrestled with this for other calibers. Then the light switch came on...

You can probably loosen/tighten your shell plate... I had an issue early on where I had my 550 shell plate too tight and brefly wrestled with this for other calibers. Then the light switch came on...

It's not an issue when I load 9mm, 40, or 45. Only with 38 Special. I snug the shell plate down but don't over tighten it since I don't want to snap the shell plate screw in the middle. I suppose I could play with it some though, loading on a Square Deal B.

NOTHING about that pic looks like an OOB discharge. A properly loaded round fired OOB will have the web of the case intact and blow out / swell above the web. The case may also break above the web leaving the case back angled, not perpendicular, to the case walls.

The swelling at the base of the case and fire forming of the base to the feed ramp is indicative of either bad brass or, more likely, am overcharged round.

I no longer pick up bass other than my own. I saw a friend of mine leave a bunch of .38 brass once and asked why he wasn't picking it up, as he also reloads. His reply was he had reloaded them so many times, they were starting to split. That got me thinking about picking up range brass.

• 2 weeks later...

I load range pick ups for 9m minor at 135 PF. I sort out the crimped and overblown 9mm major stuff. I've found some brass hard to reload because of primer cup issues (PPU, CBC, GFL, S&B) so that gets recycled too. The internally shelved head stamps (FM, Ammoload, IMT) I have no problems loading once or twice if found as once fired, but, even though I've test loaded some cases up to a half dozen times without failures, the bad experiences I keep finding on line made me decide to use it only for practice and to scrap it after a couple loadings.

I sort by HS for club match ammo, and use once fired single HS brass for major matches.

I have a collection of at least 50 ruptured cases, almost all of them Winchester brass, all shot in a 9mm Major gun.

So yes, it IS possible to have a bad case.

Both of the case ruptures I've had were Winchester brass also. Loaded minor (130pf) though.