Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Have a Screw Loose

SSGJohnV

I did it again. Had two "dud" rounds in 300 rounds of practice yesterday. Thought "damn, I need to make sure to seat my primers deeper".

Went to the TN sectional today shooting the same gun, FGW 6" 2011. Had two "duds" on one stage, and two more on other stages. WTF? This gun is dead nuts reliable. No issues that were not ammo or mag related in like 10-15k rounds.

Got to the hotel room. Checking everything. Decided to make sure my front grip screw was tight because my race master holster was acting up.

I'm an idiot.

I changed grips to a DVC style grip last month. Forgot to loctite the grip screws. Loose as hell. This happened back in May right before the Ohio sectional and I forgot to check those damn screws.

Good thing I found the problem before nationals, but holy hell am I dumb. You'd think I'd learn when it happened before.

Here's to trying to make up for two effed up stages in the morning.

And apparently I'm super stupid.

It wasn't the grip screws causing the FTF's. Currently thinking it is the firing pin spring or mainspring. Leaning towards the FP spring as I had just replaced it with a Wolff FP spring. Just ordered an extended FP , STI FP spring, and new 17 lb mainspring. Going to fire 300-400 rounds before I leave for nationals to make sure the problem is corrected. Had like 15 FTF's in a 10 stage match. Worst finish all year. I am not happy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As an update, the problem was none of the above...

Frickin' mainspring housing. I changed my grip to a DVC medium reduced grip from extreme shooters, and used the same mainspring components. No big deal, right? Well apparently I damaged one of the plungers that goes in the spring, because it wasn't giving full range of motion to the hammer. The spring/plunger was hanging up, giving me light strikes. Super duper stupid. Worst finish all year to show for it.