Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stolen 1911

LegionShooter

So long story short, I had a Dan Wesson Guardian in .38 Super stolen from my car, in my driveway, sometime Thursday night to Friday morning. Gun is a bobtail commander 1911, black, with wood DW grips. Had one, 8-round magazine in it. Serial Number 1405865. Police report is filed and I doubt I'll see it again, but I'm throwing it out there just in case. I'm posting this around on the different forums I'm on as well.

Thats why I never leave a gun in my car overnight or for any extended period of time. It's just not worth the risk. Sorry for your loss and I hope it gets recovered quickly. Best of luck.

I agree and I never do...except when I forgot it that night...and of course I get a lesson in why I don't forget things like that.

A friend of mine bought himself a new 1911 for his birthday and had it stolen from his truck 3 weeks later. The local PD called him 5 years later and said they had his gun. When he went to get it, they told him he would have to produce his bill of sale, which he no longer had. He went back to the shop he bought it from and they were able to find his records only because he knew the approximate date that he bought it.

He got his gun back but it looked like hell.

Any else ever have this experience?

A friend of mine bought himself a new 1911 for his birthday and had it stolen from his truck 3 weeks later. The local PD called him 5 years later and said they had his gun. When he went to get it, they told him he would have to produce his bill of sale, which he no longer had. He went back to the shop he bought it from and they were able to find his records only because he knew the approximate date that he bought it.

He got his gun back but it looked like hell.

Any else ever have this experience?

Mine was stolen in 96 from colorado springs, recovered in 2006 in pueblo. Sat in the evidence locker until this spring when it was given to CSPD. Investigator tracked me down to my town in AR and called the local PD. I knew a lot of the PD due to my wife working there for 6 years. After I contacted the investigator the weapon was shipped to the PD and I picked it from them.

You may want to check at local station in person every few years, I checked four years later after my car was stolen from work with my PPKs in it. I spoke to recovering Officer working desk on light duty (this is common) I told him I wanted to make sure my gun was still listed as stolen. Upon checking he said it was recovered taken of some thug a week later and put in evidence, took all of 10 minutes. He apologized that I was not contacted and sent me to where I could pick it up with my ID. Like someone else posted it had couple scratches and grip took brunt of it and magazine was trashed, in a week? FYI if your gun is stolen and recovered but you never filled report of it, it will be much harder to get it back.

A little info on NCIC, where the stolen items are listed (this is a nationwide data base). Certain items, guns being one, remain on NCIC once they are entered stolen. They are not taken off until an authorized agency enters them as being recovered. The ORI,(agency that originated the entry) is automatically sent a message that the stolen gun was recovered and by who. The ORI is then able to contact the recovering agency and verify that that the right serial number, make, model and caliber were entered. NCIC is overseen by the FBI. Every couple of years the entries are verified as still being stolen as part of FBI audits.

Gerald