Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Stretch-16 Build

CJW

Well, I have mentioned this one in a few previous posts, so here is the finished product. She's dressed up for Starlight 3-Gun right now—it's a Tac/Ops rifle at heart. :) Before the night shoot shiny got put on, the rifle weighed in at 8 pounds even, with optic. Even with all the extra doo-dads, it's about 9.5 pounds.

Right now it has my backup scope, a Primary Arms 1–6x. It's good enough to get used to the rifle, and has the advantage of being a half pound lighter than my better scopes.

Upper:

• Gibbz G4 Side Charging Upper Receiver
  • SLR Solo Ultralite M-LOK 14" Forearm
  • Stretch-16
  • Strong Side Tactical low-pro Gas Block
  • Carbon Arms Gas Hog
  • RCA Low Mass BCG (thanks, FNH prize table!)
  • Titanium Firing Pin

Lower:

• Aero Precision Ambi Lower Receiver
  • CMC Trigger (thanks, Texas 3-Gun prize table!)
  • JP Silent Captured Spring
  • Battlelink Minimalist Stock
  • Ergo Ambi Grip

I don't have too many rounds through it yet, but I can say when I zeroed it I put five rounds of Black Hills 69gr through a single hole the size of a nickle at 50 yards. It also balances very well and I like the weight. The Gas Hog is a very social muzzle brake; there is no muzzle rise and, indeed, probably some downforce in using it. I need to do some doubles on paper to see how it works in practice.

The only actual problem so far is that I can't get the bolt to lock back on an empty magazine with any consistency. I tried every SCS spring. At the lightest spring (white) I was actually getting ignition problems. I settled on the green spring and everything runs fine, though still without consistent lockback.

post-16509-0-25306800-1442884518_thumb.j

post-16509-0-96255300-1442884525_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Well, I have mentioned this one in a few previous posts, so here is the finished product. She's dressed up for Starlight 3-Gun right now—it's a Tac/Ops rifle at heart. :) Before the night shoot shiny got put on, the rifle weighed in at 8 pounds even, with optic. Even with all the extra doo-dads, it's about 9.5 pounds.

Right now it has my backup scope, a Primary Arms 1–6x. It's good enough to get used to the rifle, and has the advantage of being a half pound lighter than my better scopes.

Upper:

• Gibbz G4 Side Charging Upper Receiver
  • SLR Solo Ultralite M-LOK 14" Forearm
  • Stretch-16
  • Strong Side Tactical low-pro Gas Block
  • Carbon Arms Gas Hog
  • RCA Low Mass BCG (thanks, FNH prize table!)
  • Titanium Firing Pin

Lower:

• Aero Precision Ambi Lower Receiver
  • CMC Trigger (thanks, Texas 3-Gun prize table!)
  • JP Silent Captured Spring
  • Battlelink Minimalist Stock
  • Ergo Ambi Grip

I don't have too many rounds through it yet, but I can say when I zeroed it I put five rounds of Black Hills 69gr through a single hole the size of a nickle at 50 yards. It also balances very well and I like the weight. The Gas Hog is a very social muzzle brake; there is no muzzle rise and, indeed, probably some downforce in using it. I need to do some doubles on paper to see how it works in practice.

The only actual problem so far is that I can't get the bolt to lock back on an empty magazine with any consistency. I tried every SCS spring. At the lightest spring (white) I was actually getting ignition problems. I settled on the green spring and everything runs fine, though still without consistent lockback.

I realize this thread is a bit stale and you may have worked out your lock back issue, but I found this thread in searching for others with the Aero Precision Ambi lower that I just finished a build with.

I have the same empty magazine lock back problem with a brand new build based on this lower. I initially thought the rifle was simply under-gassed, especially since the new upper is an 18" barrel with rifle length gas and so far the gun has a full-weight BCG and buffer.

I have a port door on my upper and it appeared to be preventing the ambi bolt release from freely rising all the way up to lock on an empty mag. There seems to be enough weight and/or drag in the ambi catch that it still isn't 100% reliable with the port door off. I'm curious, have you got your rifle with that lower to reliably lock back on an empty magazine? Will it reliably lock back on an empty magazine using the charging handle?